Sign in to follow this  
CB works

Stain id on cedar

Question

I wanted to see if any of you guys or gals could id the stain on this wood. I don't know what it is, but I test striped it with 6 oz and 8 oz per gal and I still have a little pigment in the wood on both strips.

Any ideas?

12 answers to this question

what the hell are those swirl marks?? I hope that's not from your cleaning it?

They are definitely from someone trying to clean it. I have been asked to fix this mess. I have done the testing and know what will work. I am just trying to broaden my knowledge of failed stain id.

Rod, what kind of info do you need? I have lots more pics if it will help

Thanks Greg,

I know of quite a few cypress sided houses that are around here that were done with TWP. Is that a stain available to box stores or is it mostly coming from a paint stores?

Most of the wood that was that vibrant was behind the bush line and well protected. Anything that got any sun was black.

So let me get this straight... you haven't done anything yet?? Hopefully this is from some previous contractor, because someone ****ed up that siding... sorry, had a few beers tonight!!!!

I just re-read the post... break out the whooping stick, cause you're about to hit a HOME RUN!!!!if those swirls are deep. then u need to sand, then strip, defurr, stain and collect a BIG paycheck!!!

I love coming upon some other dicks mistake... it makes my bank account swell!!!

Edited by jbruno

Some of the questions I ask are:

Where was the product purchased?

When was it installed?

Who installed it?

These questions lead into others which give me insight as to which product was used. From what I see and this is only speculation at this point is it could be Sikkens SRD. We have done some cedar sided houses with it and it looks quite similar.

More pics would help along with the answer to at least the first question answered.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod
spelling

James,

IT WASN'T ME!!

It's hard to tell from the pics how deep the wand marks really are. The marks are mostly from someone trying to clean the siding and they washed off the failed stain. It seems that they were using low pressure because there aren't to many gouges (there are a few though).

You should see the deck! They used high pressure and a surface cleaner:lgbugeyes I'm pretty sure that the company who washed the building and the company who maintained the wood are two different companies. The wood wouldn't be in as good shape if the washers were the ones who maintained the wood.

Rod,

I tried to look up the man who used to maintain the wood. It seems he's out of business. As far as I can tell guy didn't charge enough and he's now out of business. I am coming in at double what his price was. I know because the owner is freaking out over the price. The last time it was done was three years ago.

The last picture there shows the where the wood was more protected behind the bushes and is in better shape. That picture also shows where I cleaned the section of the hand rail for testing.

after those few pics, I can't judge what kind of stain it is, but it shouldn't be a problem to get off. Mostly because some of it came of by "accidental wanding"

christiam I hope it works out tell Ship to quit barking at the price they make that in one night this time of year!!!!

Thanks Mike,

Tell you the truth Ships been great so far. He hasn't asked me once to come off my price. He just cussed a little when I told him the price, then asked me to send him the paper work.