Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

West Coast Woodies - Redwood source

Question

We are going to be restoring an "old growth" redwood deck, somewhere between 35 and 50 years old, next month. Part of the job entails a few repairs and replacement of 3 boards, one 2" x 12" x 12 feet in dimension.

In my area of the East coast, redwood decks are very rare. This is only the second one I have seen in 8 yrs. of business. To compound matters, the existing wood is from 200+ year old trees. Try finding that wood here in the East!

Thanks to Peirce Fitchette of Ready Seal for finding a wood source. This company in California has been great, returning phone calls and responding to emails. I ordered the wood last night, in custom dimensions.

For any redwood needs, try the following company and ask for Raul:

Raul Hernandez Forever Redwood 33800 Annapolis Rd. Annapolis, CA 95412 Toll free: 866-332-2403 Outside U.S.: 707-495-4955 Fax: 619-374-2462 www.foreverredwood.com

There is some very detailed, interesting information on their web site about this terrific wood.

Edited by RPetry

2 answers to this question

Thanks for the info,Rick. Thats beautiful country up there in Annapolis, located in the heart of redwood forest land. Fortunately, I only need to go about 6 blocks from my house for a deep supply of redwood. In fact, I have seven 40 year old redwoods in my backyard! Those are staying though...

I checked out their site and they seem like some smart folks up there @ Forever Redwood. Funny you should mention that as I just stripped a heartwood-redwood deck yesterday! Had no idea it was heartwood until it gave up the ghost (CWF-PITA strip) .I'll generate some pics later today...