Sign in to follow this  
taizentek

Final advice on stain for ipe

Alright, I have all but given up on ever receiving my order of woodzotic from Ken. I'm not interested in starting another thread dealing with those issues. What I am interested in is the easiest and best choice to replace the woodzotic. I have read the other threads and am embarassed to say I'm still a little confused.

I would like to order the woodrich or woodtux but I'm not sure of the difference. I read about mixing the colors to get the woodzotic color. I want to keep it as simple as possible (no mixing). I have an Ipe and Massanruba deck that I built two years ago. I have the rad which AI have yet to use but I did rent a floor sander last fall and flattened out the deck removing the old messmers in the process.

I should be ready to go a day or two after using the rad I think.

Which color will keep the most natural look of the freshly sanded woods? Which is the easiest/quickest to apply?

I have about 350 ft2 plus railings to stain. If I buy a 5 gallon container, can I use it any leftover over the next couple of years.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike

Mike,

I will be taking photos of some ipe tiles that we prepped and will be staining this weekend. Three colors will be applied (about 3 boards each) so you will be able to see the Warm Honey Gold, Brown Sugar and the new Amaretto shade that will be available soon.

Celeste

Mike,

The old, yesteryear WoodZotic was just a mix of two colors of ESI's WoodTux line of stains. One part "brown sugar" and one part "western cedar" is exactly WoodZotic.

AFAIK, there is no stain that will preserve the "natural" look of dry, sanded ipe' for any length of time.

For your size ipe' job, 4 gallons total of WoodTux stain should be enough.

Mike,

I will be taking photos of some ipe tiles that we prepped and will be staining this weekend. Three colors will be applied (about 3 boards each) so you will be able to see the Warm Honey Gold, Brown Sugar and the new Amaretto shade that will be available soon.

Celeste

Have you got the Amaretto yet? I don't but understood I was supposed to get some....

Beth