Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Defurring pads are in and shipping today!

Question

10 answers to this question

Beth,

Do you have defurring pads that fit on a velcro wheel (6-8") for a variable speed buffer?

I have a variable speed Makita and was wondering if it would work for defurring.

On the Makita - YES :) they are wonderful.

The pads are 9" with a 3/4" arbor hole, and can be used on a variable sander. Won't work on velcro backed orbitals. You need a sander that has an arbor hole to hold the pad in place.

Brian, Hang Time is due in the warehouse soon. I'll keep you posted. ;)

Gavin,

You need to make sure you have a Makita 9227c or equivalent sander/polisher. A grinder will not work, to much power. For the Defurring pads to work on the Makita you need to get a 7" Backer Pad and locknut. You can check your local home center for them. I'm not sure if Beth carries them or not.

I wish I could get defurring pads for a velcro wheel. I bought the velcro wheel because I also polish fiberglass boats. Velcro pads are way faster to change out than a nut-wheel.

Approximately how many s.f. can you get from each defurring pad on an "average" cedar deck that was stripped and brightened?

Depends on the condition of the board. Old splintered boards will be an issue, as you will be more likely to tear pads. Also depends on how fuzzy the deck is. I have reused pads many times, and I have also gone through multiple pads per deck. (I love finishing the deck and sealing it - fun stuff!) Also depends on how you use the Makita. I like it slightly slower (in part becuse it is easier for me to control the Makita) and how hard I press on the surface depends on that strip job. A lighter touch is all you need for light fuzzing. Wood that had a rough time of it from a multi layer strip job will need a bit more TLC, and even sanding in places at times as well. To me it's something you develop an eye for as you go. Word of advice - wear a dust mask - save your respiratory system. Dust, especially if from CCA lumber is a health risk.

Beth :groovy:

p.s. I'll see waht I can do about getting them with a velcro backing. Due to the fiberous nature I am uncertain if it can be done, but one can always ask. :groovy2:

Bryan,

On average you can get about 200-300 sq ft of floor out of a pad. On an average deck I use two to three pads. Stay away from screws and nails. They will tear them up in a hurry. You usually only need to use them on cedar or other soft woods. CCA pine doesn't seem to "fur up" like cedar. The better you get with your dwell times the less defurring you will have to do.

As far as a velcro back pads goes, I don't think it would work. I don't think velcro would be strong enough to hold the pad on. The backer pads are 7" and the pads are 9" x 1/2"-3/4" thick. Since the pad is usually never flat against the floor I bet it would not stick. It would be flying off all the time. Plus how would you get velcro to stick to the scotch brite materal of the pads?