Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Solid oil restoration

Question

Started on this monster this week. Pretty old PT SYP deck, with a failing Cabot's solid oil stain. We removed all 357 spindles as they never strip well, and will be dipping the new ones in Ready Seal medium red and installing.

An easy strip with ACR 760 NaOH, ACR 633ADD additive, and ACR "Booster", which is a thickener/foamer/wetting agent. All chems mixed at 8 oz./gallon. Citric acid brightener was applied at 6 oz./gallon.

As is usual, still had some spot sanding to do, especially on the fascia where the old spindles dripped and around the edge of the deck floor underneath the balustrade. The nice thing about removing the spindles is that all wood is accessible and easy to sand.

Weather permitting, we will begin staining tomorrow. This job will take at least 30 gallons of Ready Seal, with two heavy applications into the horizontal wood.

Peirce of Ready Seal, and Tom of ACR Products love these big ones!

20 answers to this question

Daniel,

I am not sure. The MSDS sheet is in my truck. Just got back from the shore with a 9.8 lb. fluke (summer flounder)! Biggest one in 2 years.

Anyway, it is an additive. Along with Tom's 760, will take off ~ 95% of a single acrylic in one pass. Good stuff.

Can I ask why you lay the new spindles out like that?

Also when you do the job could you post up a shot of your dipping contraption for the spindles? Sounds like an interesting idea

Can I ask why you lay the new spindles out like that?

Not sure, I just thought it looked nice and neat. Seriously, cheap HD lumber is very wet, and this is to allow the spindles to dry out.

Also when you do the job could you post up a shot of your dipping contraption for the spindles? Sounds like an interesting idea

Charlie,

It is just a heavy rubber shallow tray, cut 'em, drill 'em, dip 'em, and install them. I'll take pics and post. Should go fairly easy, although tomorrow is a wash out due to heavy rain. Back for more fluke.

ahhh smart idea on the drying

Do the spindles drip stain everywhere when you pull them out? Does it not mess up the stain to be handling the stained spindles when installing them? Or do you let them dry for a bit?

ahhh smart idea on the drying

Charlie,

Nothing smart. Buy a bunch and you will see. Come bundled in 12's, and soaking. These were staged for about 3 weeks just to let the wood dry out.

Do the spindles drip stain everywhere when you pull them out? Does it not mess up the stain to be handling the stained spindles when installing them? Or do you let them dry for a bit?

I would imagine that the spindles will "drip". Not too concerned about handling them after a few minutes. Note, this is the 1st time we have tried this, kind of a test run on another similar monster job later in the season. We will be using Ready Seal stain, so do not think handling or dripping will be any problem.

Charlie,

Here is a photo of the process. There is a template set up on the alum. table in the foreground to get exact length cuts. Cut 'em with the chop saw (which is a piece of junk by the way), drill two holes, top and bottom for the screws, and place 5 or 6 spindles at a time in the shallow tray of Ready Seal.

Pull 'em out and let drain for a moment in the tray and stage by the balustrade where they will be installed. Yes, they drip but no matter, we are using Ready Seal on the job.

Screw 'em in with the Dewalt and a #2 square head bit. Goes fairly fast.

Hi Scott,

No we do not. Guess I'm an idiot in so far as business goes, as you are right, there are a lot of add ons a Co. can do with some chems and a pressure washer.

Get asked to do concrete, pavers, driveways, and house washes often. I refer all that type of work out. I just like to work on wood.

Ouch..That is alot of stain..Beautiful though!

Question, does the sturdiness of the existing spindle sway you one way or the other on whether to remove or change them out or not?

If wood is good I wonder if the remove and dip process could be applied to the existing wood by way of laying them all out tight together within a wood form and sanding them. On my end a low speed swing machine equiped with sanding driver would make short work of it but even a belt sander should suffice. Would have to rotate for each of the 4 sides but wouldn't that negate having to purchase, deliver,measure, cut, and drill new ones? Might save HO some money too?

Matt,

Congratulations. You have just won 5 gals. of Ready Seal stain. You are one of few that can spell Peirce's name correctly!

Kevin,

The nature of the job determined removing and replacing the spindles, not structure. That was not an issue. Note that this was a solid oil, dripped heavily over floor and fascia in many areas. To get it all off, knew it would take a bit of sanding. Figured it would just be more efficient to blow off the old spindles and replace. In that way you can get to all areas to sand.

With old PT SYP spindles, you can never remove them and try and reinstall. It is bad wood that turns to garbage wood over 10 or 12 years, when not maintained.

On hindsight, may have been more productive to just strip the old ones, and use a Makita on the inside of the 2 x 2's. Then again, we had to re-level part of the balustrade, which would not have been possible without removing a lot of old spindles.

I don't know, it was a tough job but priced accordingly. Glad it is finished.

Ouch..That is alot of stain..Beautiful though!

Question, does the sturdiness of the existing spindle sway you one way or the other on whether to remove or change them out or not?

If wood is good I wonder if the remove and dip process could be applied to the existing wood by way of laying them all out tight together within a wood form and sanding them. On my end a low speed swing machine equiped with sanding driver would make short work of it but even a belt sander should suffice. Would have to rotate for each of the 4 sides but wouldn't that negate having to purchase, deliver,measure, cut, and drill new ones? Might save HO some money too?

Depends on the wood, PT, cheaper to take Ricks route I think. With the redwood decks we see, probably not, redwood too pricey for swapping I think. Rick mentioned something about this to me. Nice job Rick, man, 29 Gal's!

kev.. come to think of it, Rick said he had 357 spindles... 357x4 sides.. lets see, that would be belt sanding nearly 1500 sides of old spindles... Keeping those spindles steady whilst sanding..no thanks, cant really see the time or customer savings...at least in one of my ball games. Frankly, if I came across a deck that size with a solid on that many spindles, even if it WAS redwood, I would advocate Rick's approach... Makes slot of sense to me...

Thats alot of spindel...belt sander for the idea I propose would be for the birds.

Laid out up against each other it be over 50' of surface x however high they run. Would have to make a 2x4 form/jig and fill it up tight and use the swing machine sander which many aren't equiped with.Rents cheap though. With an 8' form you would have to fill maybe 7 times and turn them 3 times to get the 4 sides.