Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

I need help. and lots of it.

Question

Hey everybody,

Are any of you wood restoration guys willing to help me out? I need to put in a bid for a fence & deck, deck has olympic sealer on it, fence is pressure treated and hasn't had anything done to it in 10 years.

I have a bunch of numbers, measurements, and a lot of questions. Are any of you guys willing to help me out & call me?

I'd really appreciate it.

18 answers to this question

Thanks. I am looking more for how to calculate it all up though. For the fence which is like chalky on the light green faded places, I figured a good wash then RS, for the deck on the other hand, I figured to just strip, wash, sand, and then RS. What ya think?

post-3785-137772214347_thumb.jpg

post-3785-137772214357_thumb.jpg

post-3785-137772214367_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I got the estimate out. Depending on how this project will go if I get it, I might get into wood restoration some more ;)

Thanks for the tips!

MudDuck: Im not sure yet, my fence is the same, and has the same light green discoloring, Ill test on my fence to figure out if I could do a simple wash, or need some HD80.

Thank you very much!

Is it my imagination or does that deck look like in good shape? Was that stain olympic maximum? If so - maintain that finish, don't strip it! That's a good product! That's more like 2 cups of household bleach in a gallon of water and a little surfactant - maybe just a tad of TSP to break up the surface tension, as the water sill looks like it is beading. And then apply a maintenance coat.

Deck $3/sq ft

benches $10/ft

fence $3.5/foot per side

Whoa those are some crazy numbers, I could never get this around here :alien:

but then again i also didnt try yet ... im really thinking about expanding into wood restoration.

Edited by PressureX

Thanks guys, I got the estimate out. Depending on how this project will go if I get it, I might get into wood restoration some more ;)

Thanks for the tips!

MudDuck: Im not sure yet, my fence is the same, and has the same light green discoloring, Ill test on my fence to figure out if I could do a simple wash, or need some HD80.

Thank you very much!

This fence .... sounds like pressure treated wood . Some customers say it's mold :)) I would say all pressure treated wood is more or less green from chemicals

Whoa those are some crazy numbers, I could never get this around here :alien:

but then again i also didnt try yet ... im really thinking about expanding into wood restoration.

Wait until you have to clean and stain a shadow-box fence. They are time consuming and drink stain. After you are done, you will understand why you charge what you do. BTW - I charge $5/foot per side on fences and get that here..

Yea I got the job. But only the fence, he decided not to go with the deck. Anyways, since this will be my first fence, I charged him $900. Now after reading all of this, im not all too confident that that will be enough, lol. Together the fence is about 1,351 sq. ft. 251 ft. long by 4 ft high, and then I added in the pickets. So it came out to a little over 1300 sq. ft. and I charged $900. Now i feel like I just kicked myself though. :O

I charge by the section on fences. I get $30 a section to wash and stain on a fence like in you pictures. usually a fence section is 7 to 8 ft. linear so approx. 32 or so sections $900 is a good price for the fence IMO. My wife and I can wash and stain that fence with 2 machines in 6 hours.

I charge by the section on fences. I get $30 a section to wash and stain on a fence like in you pictures. usually a fence section is 7 to 8 ft. linear so approx. 32 or so sections $900 is a good price for the fence IMO. My wife and I can wash and stain that fence with 2 machines in 6 hours.

What are you applying that you can apply stain to wet wood?

Bryan -

You will get better durability and longevity in most cases by applying to dry wood rather than wet wood, in my opinion.

Seal when dry.

Beth

I wouldn't deliberately try to stain wet wood but the Armstrong Clark I just put on a simi dry deck came out perfect. It rained the evening before I stained it with little sun the day of. I've done three decks with AC now and have nothing but good to say about it.

olympic maximum 3yr toner. wood tux wet is another although I haven't use that product myself

I have the 5 yr Nat Cedar and it sucks. Wont do that again. Blotchy orange Hooter sauce lookin crap.