Sign in to follow this  
John T

Converting Propane Burner to Diesel Burner

Thanx John, just checking..wouldn't want to go away with wrong impression. I like things that run on propane. Although I been using it in my floor machines for decades my latest puts out ike 0 emissions.

If I had choice everything would run on hydrogen or natural gas. Until then I would not mind my truck and wash engine being equipped to run propane.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

John,

You are right about finding people to work on the propane fired units. Even here in So Cal it's hard to find someone.

Especially here though with people so concerned about clean air and stuff, it has made a difference in selling jobs at times. I have a guy that I have been using to fill my tank since day one. He will get up at 3 Am to go down to his station if I run completely out.

It is nice though when you have 50 gallons of propane and not have to worry about refueling it every single day. I'm paying $3.25 a gallon for propane here. It keeps going up. Started out at $2.25 a gallon over 3 years ago when I 1st bought the rig.

The only fear I have though is being involved in a rear end collision. When I bought the new trailer and transferred the unit over last year I set the propane tank back further on the trailer.

Vince Wood

Industry, Ca

562-331-0301

The Propane tank itself is on the side of my truck. I don't know if your even aloud to have it on the rear of the truck do to most accidents are Front to Rear.

The California Vehicle Code?? lol Since I have to take my truck through the scales and carry a log book when I go out over 150 miles I've never had the red light thrown on at me at the scale houses.

I also had a DOT audit and inspection and everything passed on the truck and trailer. I have to admit the F-350 pulls that trailer better than my E-150 Van did though.

It may not look like it but with the truck and trailer combined I have to have a Commercial Driver's License (which I do) sinc ethe length total is over 40 feet and both the truck and trailer are rated for over 10,000 GVWR each. Truck is 13,000 GVWR and the trailer is 14,000 GVWR.

I do notice though that people tend to watch their following distances with that propane tank sitting on the back lol. Maybe that is why my wife keeps such a high life insurance policy on me lol.

Vince Wood

562-331-0301

Industry, Ca

post-4218-137772219993_thumb.jpg

post-4218-137772220076_thumb.jpg

The California Vehicle Code?? Lil Since I have to take my truck through the scales and carry a log book when I go out over 150 miles I've never had the red light thrown on at me at the scale houses.

I also had a DOT audit and inspection and everything passed on the truck and trailer. I have to admit the F-350 pulls that trailer better than my E-150 Van did though.

It may not look like it but with the truck and trailer combined I have to have a Commercial Driver's License (which I do) sinc ethe length total is over 40 feet and both the truck and trailer are rated for over 10,000 GVWR each. Truck is 13,000 GVWR and the trailer is 14,000 GVWR.

I do notice though that people tend to watch their following distances with that propane tank sitting on the back lol. Maybe that is why my wife keeps such a high life insurance policy on me lol.

Vince Wood

562-331-0301

Industry, Ca

Vince did you really need to get a commercial License for your set-up?? In NY the vehicle can't have air brakes and cannot be over 25999 lbs loaded. My F-550 Diesel flatbed weighs in at 6800 lbs and can hold 12000 on it for a total of about 19000 so a commercial lic is not needed. My trailer which has 5000lb dual axles and can hold around 10,000 which if I understand it correctly it still doesn't cause me to fall into the Commercial lic category. But Cali is a very different state then the Big Apple NY is.

Edited by John T
spelling

John,

You don't realize how close to the border line of needing a Commercial Driver's License lol. You only miss it by 1 pound. If you trailer was rated for 10,001 lbs it'd throw you over.

You can have either the truck or the trailer rated at over 10,000 gvwr but if you have both you need a Commercial Driver's License. Plus I was told any combination over 40' long requires a Commercial Driver's License.

I've had mine for 15 years. I started off hauling golf cars and worked my way up to hauling Cat D8 Dozers.

I have to admit New York is way different than California. But I think I rather deal with an earthquake every 5 years than to be shoveling snow all winter long lol. Where I am at if it gets down below 55 degrees on a winter day we think that we need to put on 3 layers of clothes.

Vince Wood

Industry, Ca

562-331-0301

In California that F350 is a commercial vehicle due to the flatbed. All trucks have commercial plates, but are not real commercial. The bed change makes it official. So my F450 is just a truck because it has a bed. Note Vinces door has the weight rating sticker on it.

Not sure how the trailer deal works, since 40 foot 5th wheels need no special license and the GVWR is 18,000.

We have all the wacky laws, City code here says anything over 23 feet can not be parked on the street. A crew cab long bed is that by itself.

The little weight rating on the doors only cost $425 a year. That's not including the $850 registration for the truck. I 1st only had the truck covered for 15,000 lbs but decided to up it to 20,000 GCWR for the extra $120. That way I don't worry about going through the scales with water in the tanks.

As for 5th wheels, I thought you needed a 5th wheel endorsement on your license? Or does that only apply if you pull it commercially?

City code here in Diamond Bar is any trucks over 10,000 GVWR aren't allowed overnight parking. I've been here now 6 months and haven't got a ticket yet.

My wife says I drive like grandpa though even if I'm driving her car. Anyone with a CDL here though can't go to traffic school for any offenses. The tickets automatically count as points on your record. I remember back when you could go to 2nd offender traffic school as many times as the judges would let you...not anymore though.

Vince Wood

Diamond Bar, Ca

562-331-0301

Hu..seriousley??. we don't have ability to goto traffic school to keep points off our record no more?. ..I been too good for too long to know personally.

My wife got a safety corridor ticket in Oregon and wasn't able but her friend has had a few ticket this past year here in Cali and took class or test to keep point off. .... Classes and tests are online and study materials can be rented at some video stores is what the wife just mentioned.

Well that's the last I heard anyways. But only if you have a Class A or B Commercial License. I don't know if it's just for California or the whole U.S though. The last ticket I got was up on 99 at the Scales up there. I ran out of hours and got shut down for 8 hours up there. It was only a $520 ticket with going to traffic school but that was about 5 or 6 years ago.

What's odd though was that I always got tickets in Big Rigs. I remember I had a $10,000 overweight ticket one time. I was able to beat it in court and got it dismissed though. My boss at the time couldn't even believe I got out of it lol.

Vince Wood

Diamond Bar, Ca

562-331-0301