Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

One for the good guys

Question

Unbelievable, while eating breakfast in a small restaurant the other day on my way to a deck job a little old man approached me and asked if I did vinyl. He had seen my sign on my truck. I said yes and he told me his church needed cleaning but had called someone last week and hadn't heard back from him since. (I get that ALOT here which is a whole other story but...)I told him yes and that I would call him that night or the next day. Long story short when I called his wife (little old lady) stated that they already had someone and thanked me for calling. I was persistent and finally point blank asked her how much was he doing it for. She was reluctant at first but I pretty much insisted and she said..."1200.00 dollars". I said WHAT!!!!! and told her not to do anything until I got there the next morning. See the little old man had already told me that it was a very small church which held only 50 people. When I got there I learned the church was a small square, brick on all 4 sides except the eves in the apex on two sides above the roof line and the steeple. This hack was charging (extorting) 1200.00 from this little church for about what amounted to a car wash. I told them I'd do it for 250.00 and felt bad about that but it is way off the beaten path where it is. And I'm going to paint a small extieor wall they need painting too. 1200.00 geez, something told me to be a little pushy with her which I normally would never do.

5 answers to this question

The other company must have been one of those" I don't get off the recliner and start my truck for less that $1000 companies."

God job on saving them $$. I'm not a big fan of anyone trying to way over charge on a small simple job. Its just wrong. Hopefully you will gain more work from this.

Good man. Not only did you do a good deed for someone but I'm sure you just brought a bunch of new work your way. I'm sure you also cut that other contractors "To Do List" way down.

Turns out this a$$ has some type of bucket truck and told them he HAD to charge so much because he HAD to use the bucket truck to get to the steeple. I shot it with the X Jet from the ground no prob. Wasn't even really Also when I hit that steeple with the X Jet about a billiion hornets and wasp went everywhere. Like to have watched that moron hit that stuck in his bucket with no where to go fast. He would have earned that extra grand right there,,LOL