Sign in to follow this  
GaryK

Advice on rebuilding Cat 5CP3120 Pump

My foreman happens to be an expert small engine mechanic. Meanwhile we have a Cat 5CP3120 (4 gpm, 3500 psi) pump with a broken mounting tab and corresponding crack in the crankcase. Still works fine but cannot keep oil in it!

The pump, part of a BE belt drive pressure washer purchased in 2005, is said to be covered by a 5 year warranty, but somehow I have a suspicion that they may baulk at a cracked crankcase.

If this is the outcome, how difficult is it to rebuild one of these pumps? Are there any special tricks or tips? I imagine we will renew all the soft parts--gaskets, o-rings, etc. if we rebuild it. We are in the dark on some things. For example, we have no guide on torquing the piston rod bolts. I have not been able to find a manual other than a parts diagram for this unit.

Any bits o' wisdom most welcome!

Gary Kellogg

CJ's High Climbing Services

Portland, OR 503.228.9278

Rebuilding the back end can be time consuming, but can be done. I'm not sure what the Cat crankcase costs, but it ain't cheap. I'll call and get a price tomorrow, and let you know.

Here's the service manual...

http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/CPSvc.pdf

Here's the parts...

http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/5CP3120.pdf

Thanks for the service manual, Russ! Yes, I have a feeling that the crankcase is going to be (SWAG) about $200. Add the wage I pay my foreman and some other parts and soon we are in the neighborhood of a comparable new pump--maybe a General TS1511--if the mounting hardware can be acquired or built--or a straight replacement if i can find a better price than I am getting locally (of course we need to factor in shipping the approx. 30 lb. beast).

Till then, we are hoping the warranty will be honored but getting ready for "Plan B."

Gary Kellogg

Edited by GaryK

Thanks for the service manual, Russ! Yes, I have a feeling that the crankcase is going to be (SWAG) about $200. Add the wage I pay my foreman and some other parts and soon we are in the neighborhood of a comparable new pump--maybe a General TS1511--if the mounting hardware can be acquired or built--or a straight replacement if i can find a better price than I am getting locally (of course we need to factor in shipping the approx. 30 lb. beast).

Till then, we are hoping the warranty will be honored but getting ready for "Plan B."

Gary Kellogg

I would just buy a general pump and be done with it. They are almost as dependable and way cheaper to purchase and work on.