Sign in to follow this  
CannonW

First paying customer!

Question

I have my first paying customer... how exciting. I'll explain the job and my plan... I have a few questions along the way. Feel free to shoot holes in my plan and offer any tips you may have.

I will be cleaning and sealing 2 decks. Sq. footage including rails, spindles, deck apron and steps is 971 sq ft. The decks have not been sealed before. It is green treated wood with some green and black mold... and dirt and grime.

My plan is to use EFC-38 to clean the decks, Oxalic Acid to brighten and get the PH back to neutral, and Wood Tux Honey Gold to seal. I plan on using a shurflo 4gal backpack sprayer to apply the chems and sealer and then use the pressure washer for rinsing. I have a 4gpm 3500psi hot/cold pressure washer. I would like to downstream my chems but I don't know the proper mixture for downstreaming... any ideas?

I am giving them a deal at $1 a sq. foot. I plan to charge $1.25 once I feel more comfortable with everything. I know the customer and this is what I feel comfortable charging them right now. I know I will get hammered for giving someone a deal... but hey, I'm just starting and its better than doing a free job for friends and family like I've been doing.

What is the lead time on Wood Tux? How much do I need? Is it a one coat application? If not, can I apply wet-on-wet? I will probably use pads unless there is no wind. If no wind, I will use a Shurflo backpack sprayer.

I'm probably looking at the mid to end of April for this project. Weather is still cool in MN. By the way, what is the minimum temp. that I should apply Wood Tux in?

Thanks,

Jeff Swanson

The Cannon Group, Deck & Roof Restoration

14 answers to this question

Your plan is a good one if you feel good about it. I offer one bit of advice about the back pack. When you fill it with the oxallic after cleaning everythinng, rinse the outside of the backpack thoroughly before you strap it on. You don't want the oxallic to soak into you clothes and get on your skin for a long period of time. I use oxallic rather than citrallic just as a personal choice.

Take your time with this first one and do it right. Once you get a few under your belt, you will develop your own technique and speed will come naturally.

Good Luck.

Reed

Wood Tux Warm Honey Gold should be shipping next week. That's the most popular color. It rocks! :groovy3: Everything else you said sounds good, and I agree with Reed 100%. Rinse and wipe that sprayer thoroughly to avoid getting the acid on your clothes (can soak through) or skin.

Beth

What is the best way to buy oxallic for the season in large quantities and where might one get such product? Other than the chemical itself what is the difference between citalic and oxallic do they do different things or achieve the same goal to produce neutral on the deck.........ALSO how long do you let oxallic or citrallic dwelll before rinsing and how thourough a rinsing?

On a side note we need an abbreviation page about TWP CSI and all the abbreviations I feel stoopid asking because as soon as I get the answer I am going to say........"dang it I knew that"

ha ha

Claude

I got my Oxalic acid at Hawkins chemical in MN. www.hawkinsinc.com

I have had people tell me that water will only disolve so much Oxalic acid... after that it will sink to the bottom of the container. But I have the same question... what is the proper mixture? Do I just mix in as much as the water will obsorb (spelling?) ?

Beth,

I plan on staining this deck the weekend of the 30th. When should I order to get the Wood Tux in time? How much do I need to cover the job (about 1000 sq ft)

The normal mixture of oxalic and water is 8 oz. (about 3/4 of a cup) of oxalic per gallon of water. It will disolve much faster if you use warm water. I usually mix it the night before I plan on using it.

I could have sworn that someone told me that you shouldn't mix Oxalic until you are ready to use it. I heard it only had a shelf life of a couple hours after being mixed. Can anyone set me straight on this?

Percarb cleaners have a shelf life for sure, usually about no more than 4hrs. Oxallic CAN be mixed the night before and will maintain its strength. I have used oxallic that has been mixed at 2lbs per 5gls, max strength, that is several weeks old and never a problem.

Reed

I personally would not use a back pack sprayer. If it does leak you could get a chemical burn right down your back. I feel you would be safer to use a shurflo setup that can be used with a bucket.

Several years ago when I was acid washing a pool I used a back pack sprayer to apply the acid. It leaked on me and I had chem burns down my back. Never again will I do that. Thats just my two cents from experience that I hope you would not have to learn yourself.

Beth sells two really nice setups that are in her store. Check them out if you need one.

I agree about backpack sprayers. I don't like the idea of caustics or acids being on my back, and in a place where I can't see or get to them adequately. A regular pump up or sureflow system is the safest way to go.