Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

acrylic crap

Question

This deck had flood spa'nDeck acrylic. It was in good shap on the rails and some of the spindles. But the floor was in bad shape.

I originally planned a clean and re use of the flood, but the lady really wanted Wood Tux. So I figured the sanding time would take the place of the second coat time and went at it. What a mistake.

I soaked it with straight heavy duty stripper, several coats and followed with downstreamed power solve.

post-4622-137772217032_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217043_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217054_thumb.jpg

Edited by jon chapman

7 answers to this question

You can see the stair rails were in pretty good shape before starting. and it looks like the stuff is coming off pretty good. But when done and dry this is what was left.

post-4622-137772217065_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217077_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217088_thumb.jpg

16 hours of sanding later, we were held up by the threat of a hurricane, so waited until yesterday to finish. ended up having my helper sand some more as I set up and sprayed. So now Ive got 24 hours of sanding in this deck.

you can see where some shiny spots where the old sacrylic is left, and some spots where the WT didnt penetrate from over sanding, But it came out nice in the end and she's thrilled and will definately have me for maintenance.

by far the biggest deck Ive done. Man do I love ground floor decks with no railings!!!

post-4622-137772217101_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217112_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217123_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217134_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772217145_thumb.jpg

last comment.

I went back down one day last week hoping for no wind but to no avail.

while there I did her driveway and washed the house again to remove the old acrylic buggers that stick like glue to the siding and paint. (did I mention I hate Flood SpaNDeck?) Someone please ban acrylics!

I hit some spots on the stair supports with hot water and it took the acrylic off like butter. didnt really furr any more than the hot stripper.

Next time I will most definately use hot water. Id rather spend hours de-furring than sanding almost every spindle. It was still a nice payday for 4.5 days work.

Edited by jon chapman

that was the heavy duty stripper I used. I spot tested it on the shadiest stair rail and post first and it worked pretty good, but when it just wasnt enough for the worst parts. Maybe next time I'll add more nonophenal.

actually now that I think about it, the butyl was different in the test than the full mix. the first had surfactants listed on the bottle, the second didnt. I'll bet that was what the difference was.

Edited by jon chapman

email me your exact mix - I took off the same finish off of fir baluster last year - I'll tell you how I did it. The only problem was that even though I got that behr acrylic finish off like it was nothing - there was a whole lot of Fur'ing goin' on! So lot of De-Fur'ing of the Fir followed.