Sign in to follow this  
dlamontm98

Grout Cleaning

Question

Can you use a pressure washer with a hard surface cleaner, such as the hydro or gekko unit? If so---should your unit be cold or hot? And how do you go about setting up the unit with the hard surface cleaner--to perform grout cleaning.

Please help:(

9 answers to this question

Grout cleaning is a low pressure application. Usually in the 800-1500psi range. The chemicals should do most of the work, and the PW is doing a deep and thorough rinse. Grout is a fragile item, especially on some older floors.

I recall the Gekko as a surface cleaner for use with a carpet van and not sure about the Hydro.

Using reduced pressure, you can use your PW to clean grout with hot or cold water. However, keep in mind all the water that will be used. You must have adequate drainage or some fast moving people with wet vacuums nearby.

Carpet cleaning units average 1 to 2 gallons per minute, while a regular surface cleaner usually needs 3 gallons to operate.

I gave some thought to adapting a Gekko like tool to my washer, since they require less water and gpm to operate. Using bigger tips and bypassing water from your pump on the High Pressure side will turn a regular 5gpm/3000psi machine into a carpet cleaner.

When you say Rotary machine, I think of a Standard 175 RPM Floor Scrubber. If this is what you are referring to, then yes you can.

The pads are only somewhat effective, as they can not do a great job on the porous grout. 3M makes a pad for concrete and gouted floors that works great. Their website is a pain in the rear to search, or I would give you a link. I have used the # 73 version on both of the surfaces above and it did a good job.

However, depending on the size of the floor, then you can use a deck brush, to avoid machine rental.

, Aside from a good chemical, the other issue is a good rinse, to flush the dirt out of the pores.

If I can find a link without falling asleep on the 3M site, I will add it here later.

Yes, I was referring to the rotary machine-175rpm, but I can see that a rinse would be a problem without causing a mess--especially in residential. I need like a high power portable, but they are so expensive. Looking for an alternative method to grout cleaning--least expensive.

That is the third time I have heard about 3M--if you have their website--please send me the link.

Thanks

Okay, here it is. They have changed their site a little and it was much more user friendly this time. http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/commcare/solutions_cleangrout.jhtml

I have not done any Residential tile cleaning, only Institutional, so almost everything was able to get wet.

One of the most popular add ons for carpet cleaners is Tile and Grout Cleaning, due to their low volume equipment, it's perfect for indoors.

Here is a system that I have used many times. It is 250psi and did a good job, just very time consuming, as you have to run the water down each and every grout line, using a zero degree tip. http://www.kaivac.com/kaiwhiz.htm

Here is the larger version that has 400 psi. http://www.kaivac.com/kaivac.htm

And here is a new product that I just discovered when getting the above links. http://www.kaivac.com/kairate.htm

Now, I must say that these are not cheap. The small one on top was nearly $3000.00 2 years ago.

They could be built for much less, if you are handy. They basically are self contained indoor pressure washers. They have a vacuum, a pump that is similar to a Flojet or Shurflo, a clean and dirty water tank and downstream soap injection. They were designed for Large areas, where down time of filling and dumping water would be to time consuming. In a Residential setting, the areas are much smaller, so I would reccomend looking at these machines and building your own.

Sure Ron, cold water in small places is ideal due to the steam factor. But regardless of water temp and pressure, flow is a problem also in somebodies house while doing their kitchen or bathroom floor. So even with the water jet, their is a problem.

A regular portable carpet machine with a souped up pump would be the most economical and safest for interior cleaning.

Although a shop vac and a portable pump would do the trick, a carpet machine would be self contained for clean and dirty water, the vacuum and the pump. Easier to drag around and looks more pro than a milk crate full of junk.

i would not even dream of using this in a house... sorry i dont do houses... I only think commercial..LOL

I guess i should read before posting, i thought we where talking about a restraunt. oh well.. I let you residential guys talk about this one. i know nothing