Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie Reeves

Need advice on aluminum roof

Question

I have a customer that wants me to clean his aluminum roof, it has mold/mildew and some tree sap. I have never cleaned a aluminum roof and dont want to screw up, need some information from the pros. Also can an aluminum roof be walked on?

Thanks Ronnie Reeves

4 answers to this question

I have not tried nor witnessed this myself, so please don't take this as an absolute. My cousin said he used a diluted sodium hydroxide solution on aluminum siding to remove the patina and accumulated "stuff" that doesn't come off with a normal rinsing. He let it dwell for 10 - 15 minutes and scrubbed it with a brush and rinsed with a garden hose. He was surprised because it brought back the shine (my guess is he took the top layer of oxidation off and had fresh metal below it).

You might could try this on a small layer after rinsing the initial dirt and mildew off. Just spray it on with a squirt bottle (or garden sprayer if you want to do a larger area) and use circular motion when scrubbing, rinsing regularly (don't allow the dislodged dirt and oxidation to remain on the surface for long at all). You may have to clean the roof in sections as opposed to applying the cleaner to the entire surface and then scrubbing from one side to the other.

Just use caution with this stuff. Sodium hydroxide is caustic and can cause burns; cover your arms, legs, and hands. It is also EXTREMELY slippery, so take this into mind before monkeying around on a steep roof (tie yourself off).

Hope this gives you some direction (and that it is correct).

Ryan H.