Sign in to follow this  
CritesExteriors

Thanks to all from a newbie

Question

Just want to thank all the hard working PW's on this board. The knowledge on this board is outstanding. I have learned so much and have had you guys scare the crap out of me. Let me explain..... Like most people, I have misunderstood what it takes to do a proper PW job. I have very little experience and that has been with my own home as well as my rentals. When you are doing your own houses you don't really fear messing up. But in reading the posts... I know I could mess someone’s house up bad if I don't take the time to understand what I am using and how to use it. For the most part, I have only used bleach, and make sure that I rinse well. I never knew how to add things like dish soap to increase hang time, or adding other things to emulsify.

I have been working in computers for 20 years.... and I'm looking for another line of business. Started a business here recently to clean homes and drive ways. Mostly on the weekends.... please no one hate me for being a weekend warrior. Also starting the business for my two sons, 18 and 12. They are 120% outside workers and players and have stated hundreds of times that they will not work an office job (like me). So I thought that I could start this for them.

Being a computer nerd... I started educating myself though the internet and found this web site. Thank goodness I did. Did my first job the other day and it worked out well. But took me a long time and I got soaked to the bone. With basic equipment, no x-jet or extender wands, it was no wonder. Looking now into an x-jet or m5.

I also have an understanding of what you guys go through, so my pledge to all is to keep my pricing in the same range and try to win jobs by my performance on other houses.

Sorry for the long post…. And thank all of you again.

p.s. I think it was Paul that stated in one of his other posts how wrong people are for thinking this is easy work. He was right, it’s not, but I did enjoy working for myself.

3 answers to this question

I have to also thank everyone for their posts and previous posts. I am also starting this part-time and this BB is really helping me out. I love the fact there are different sections and I can search the archives for old posts.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Great job Beth and Rod and I hope I will be able to contribute someday also.

hi, welcome to the board......sounds like you are getting the wrong end of the stick here....its not that the p\w's community dislikes newbies..we were all newbies once..its the way you go about doing business that concerns us.......if you want to learn how to do the job the right way and do a proffesional job and project the right image and do your homework on these boards..well thats what power washing is crying out for .

what alot of people do not realise that the safest way to get up and running is to start part time and build up a customer base where you can charge whatever you need to run your biz(some great threads on this)because you will find it hard to raise your prices with any cust\base you have the following year.

lowballers = poor job \ damaged property \ bad image \ no idea what they should charge and why......all these reasons and a few more mean that 98% will be out of biz in the long run......they remind me of "twisters" you see them coming and you see the havoc they leave and in some cases we are left to pickup the pieces.

welcome to the world of pain ;-)