Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Hybrid Alkyd Acrylic coatings....

Question

So here I am, with my cup of coffee... :cup: and I am thinking to myself I wonder what sort of data is out there on these hybrid coatings?

Enjoy the links, hope they help. If you are not faced with this today, when the VOC laws change to encompass the entire US you'll be glad you read this stuff... :cup:

http://www.unh.edu/materials-science/pdf/seminar%2006_07/Tsavalas.pdf

Direct and Reverse Mechanical Modeling of an Alkyd Acrylic Hybrid System: A Morphological Study

Environmentally advanced technology for semitransparent deck stains.

Environmentally advanced technology for semitransparent deck stains.

Coatings World - The Resource for the Global Coatings Industry

Beth :sunshine:

14 answers to this question

Ah Beth,

Clicked on one link and here is what came up:

Abstract:

Mechanical modeling and dynamic mechanical analysis were associated to investigate the viscoelastic properties of an alkyd acrylic hybrid system in connection with its morphology, which was characterized by transmission electron microscopy. Theoretical predictions based on the interlayer model used in direct mode were successfully combined with the experimental viscoelastic data to lead to relevant additional information about the complex particulate morphology of the hybrid system. Thus, using direct mechanical modeling, it was concluded that the experimental response of the alkyd acrylic hybrid system to a sinusoidal mechanical stress corresponds to the mechanical response of a sample whose morphology involves a acrylic-rich interphase between continuous and dispersed alkyd-rich domains. For the very first time, the interlayer model was then used in reverse mode in order to separate the actual viscoelastic properties of such a acrylic-rich interphase from those experimentally obtained for the alkyd acrylic hybrid system. The differences in these extracted viscoelastic properties, when compared to those of the pure latex film, were presented as reflecting the changes in the molecular mobility of the macromolecules resulting from the mutual influence of the phases in the multiphase hybrid material.

Coffee does not help. Where is Kevin, he may be able to translate some of this gobbley-gook.

Think I'll go watch "Oprah". Don't understand that either but at least its in English.

... How's your weather today?

Beth

Great. Just waiting for the dew to dry off before a 2 month "maintenance" staining of a Timber Oil job.

We have had the best weather this season in memory. Lost very few days due to rain. August was very dry, less than 1 inch of rain, very cool and comfortable, with virtually no humidity! Amazing, think I'll vote for global warming!

Great. Just waiting for the dew to dry off before a 2 month "maintenance" staining of a Timber Oil job.

We have had the best weather this season in memory. Lost very few days due to rain. August was very dry, less than 1 inch of rain, very cool and comfortable, with virtually no humidity! Amazing, think I'll vote for global warming!

....whoops!!! That's gotta suck. You're not alone. There are lots of whispers of other things with other jobs in other states. PM me if you need people to contact.

Beth

....whoops!!! That's gotta suck. You're not alone. There are lots of whispers of other things with other jobs in other states. PM me if you need people to contact.

Beth

Beth,

Nah, no problem. At least the stain was free. If a 3rd staining on the floor does not work out, I'll just strip it off and redo with Ready Seal.

May actually not be a stain problem. The deck is about 5 month old PT built very low to the ground with little ventilation.

Sorry no phd in anything here Rick but if I had to guess I would say we need a phd in beating around the bush in order to understand that type of backward engineering discussion.

Kevin,

Perfect. The abstract sounds like a fed. gov't grant to me. I've got a good friend in Maine with a Ph.D. in Chemistry that would probably roll his eyes at that verbiage.

That said, think I'll stick with oils.

Eye rolling in family court gets you a goverment grant for an all expenses paid 6 month vaca!!!:banghead:

Haha..what does that mean?.. j/k, yea I know what it means and have been there.

Last time I was aparty to eye rolling in family court though I just ended oweing money and it been good ever snce.

Judges word for me and my defense was that we 'chagrinned' the court. I took that to mean they didn't like to hear the truth and was embarrased/ mortified by the truth I spewed...LOL

chagrin - definition of chagrin by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

:)

I can picture some judge saying that... He must have been real late to a few parties. That's funny, man. Bet family court could cause a keen feeling of mental unease.

A keen feeling of mental unease, as of annoyance or embarrassment, caused by failure, disappointment, or a disconcerting event: To her chagrin, the party ended just as she arrived. (and we have to add: 'cause everybody there saw her comin)

Now something serious - What are some names of products that are hybrid alkyd acrylics? I've used Bond's One Time in the past - I know it's an acrylic resin petrification agent - is that what we're talking here??