Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Beth's daily cup of coffee

Question

If the Milky Way was the size of Beth's coffee cup, how big would the rest of the universe be?

A. The Milky Way has a radius of about 50,000 light years. The visible universe has a radius of about 15 billion light years or 300,000 times the size of the Milky Way. So for Beth's 8-centimeter-wide coffee cup as the Milky Way, the VISIBLE universe would be a sphere about 48 kilometers (almost 30 miles) in radius...give or take.

(ref-http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/information/science_faq.html )

I also dig the one about what happens to time as you pass through a TGS topic event horizon..It all makes sense to me now actually!

Short answer is your space becomes time and your time becomes space. Hence the internet is a universe, TGS is a galaxy, it's topics are black hole, and our thoughts are matter falling into it.

My goodness sakes alive... Beth you are like a God after all!! I mean like shucks you created a whole dang galaxy!!

LOL :)

Edited by MMI Enterprises

11 answers to this question

If the Milky Way was the size of Beth's coffee cup, how big would the rest of the universe be?

A. The Milky Way has a radius of about 50,000 light years. The visible universe has a radius of about 15 billion light years or 300,000 times the size of the Milky Way. So for Beth's 8-centimeter-wide coffee cup as the Milky Way, the VISIBLE universe would be a sphere about 48 kilometers (almost 30 miles) in radius...give or take.

(ref-http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/information/science_faq.html )

I also dig the one about what happens to time as you pass through a TGS topic event horizon..It all makes sense to me now actually!

Short answer is your space becomes time and your time becomes space. Hence the internet is a universe, TGS is a galaxy, it's topics are black hole, and our thoughts are matter falling into it.

My goodness sakes alive... Beth you are like a God after all!! I mean like shucks you created a whole dang galaxy!!

LOL :)

I know what you did Kevin, oh yes sir I surly do....you drank my coffee made with my amazing super charged coffee beans! :lol: Have another cup! :lol: :cup:

Beth

See look folks...jusr look how much pride she takes in creating this place and taking care of the board.. :)

NEVER start a board without finishing it. If you do, do not leave a drastic stop start mark, feather it out from well coated to barely coated, and then in lighter areas where you wiped off, apply less to even it up. BUT...it's better to never start a board without finishing it.

Beth

See look folks...jusr look how much pride she takes in creating this place and taking care of the board.. :)

I hate stop and start marks. They waste time and create frustration. Especially after too much coffee.....see it all goes back to the coffee! :lol:

Beth :cup:

From the same site as Kevin's cup of coffee:

"Because there are probably over 100 billion galaxies in our visible universe, and because there are only about 42,000 square degrees in the surface of the sky, that means that in every square degree we will see nearly 3 million galaxies. Most of these will be the most distant and hence 'youngest' ones. So it doesn't seem to matter what direction you look."

Astronomy is a fascinating and almost philosophical subject. For those that have a customized Google home page, you can get a daily picture of space, galaxies, and the universe from:

NASA - NASA Featured Images and Galleries

Yup Rick it is indeed fascinating and for sure inspires philosophical thought.

Ya really got to wonder how many other beings elsewhere in the universe contemplate their beginings, ending, and overall relationship to the size of the universe. I mean is some other Rick or Kevin looking up at the faintest thing they can see with their naked eye and thinking 'wow! that thing is one of the closest intergalactic objects to me yet it's light took 2.2 million years to get to me'.

Such is the case with our sister galalaxy M31 Andromada wich is the farthest thing you can see without a scope. Has intrigued me since I was a kid.