24 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most efficient way to access a 2nd story deck

• Ladders
    • Scaffolding
    • Stand on the deck and reach around to the outside
    • Extension Wands
    • Other

Question

What is the most efficient way to stain the outside of a 2nd story deck?

1. Ladders

2. Scaffolding

3. Stand on the deck and reach around to the outside.

4. Extension wands

5. Other

11 answers to this question

Ah...second story decks. My favorite...NOT! lol

Generally, I will reach around and do the insides of the spindles, then remove 24' from my Coress (making it 24') and clean the outsides and in-between. I did one just like this yesterday, so my recollection is vivid. With the Coress, control is easy, since there is no "bending and swaying".

The worst is when the railings are not secure, in which case I skip the reaching part.

John

Oh yeah,I voted reaching since I could only pick one.

The coress is a light weight aircraft aluminum extension wand. It is the less cumbersome extension wand out on the market today in my opinion. I have a 32 foot and when its extended all the way out it barely flexes like some of the others. The other plus for the coress is the hose going up the inside is removable for storage.

I know Beth carrries the Extenda wand but I have no experience is using one. I did see it last year at her roundtable and I do like the way it locks in place with a pin. The coress locks in place by tightening the collar around the wand.

I am sure Beth will explain what she carries. I don't remember what its made out of.

I will use a flex wand to reach around to clean the deck. Beth does carry these in her store. I feel they are priceless and a great tool for your arsenal. When it comes to sealing the deck it all depends on how big it is. If its a small deck I will reach over and do it by hand with a extension pole if needed. If its a larger deck I use a extension wand made for my airless sprayer.

We always use the extended or a longer wand to clean the decks. I made a couple of 12' wands out of quarter inch pipe that work well. Sealing we use either a ladder or an extension wand for the airless. It all depends on how much control of the spray is required.

Andy

I steer clear of extending wands when doing decks. I can't really see what I am doing enough to use the wand without being up close and personal. I use a tall step ladder (Sam's has one that is completely adjustable) so I can have complete access without a extension ladder leaning up against the rail for 2nd story decks, and an extension ladder for higher decks. I tried the lean-over-the-rail technique a few times, but I still can't see everything that well and you can't get the bottom stringer properly. Nick

The question was about staining, not washing. I do use extension wands to wash sometimes though.

As far as staining, we prefer to lean over and do as far down as we can, then reach the bottom part either by standing on the ground or a small step ladder.........depending on elevation.

Scaffolding would be great as long as you can set it up and move it quickly.

One I got coming up says to me I got to get up there via a ladder since there is no stairs to it..is a balcony. I might as well climb on in and use an angeled hand wand to clean the rails. Might stain or clean the low fascia from the little giant type step ladder though as this perticular balcony sits over a stairway coming off a main deck. Got to scratch yer head sometimes.

About 90% of the decks we do are on the 2nd story and I usually use 2-8' Little giants with an aluminum plank in between the 2 ladders which i stand on. I usually can get the ladders very sturdy, only fell off one plank in the last 5 years. John Peterson Peterson Deck Restoration