Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

When given a lemon, turn it into lemonade

Question

I was called out to look at a deck back in September where the owner had already removed the deck boards then decided he was getting in over his head when it come to building the stairs, railing and installing the decking.

His mind was already made up that he wanted composite decking so I steered him to the only composite decking I personally think is okay (Timbertech).

If you can see it in these pictures the joist on his deck were spaced on 36" centers and they were only toe nailed into the ledger next to the house. I don't know how this deck was even still standing. We added extra joist to the substructure, added joist hangers, and beefed up the beam supporting the 36" cantilever.

post-711-137772227007_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772227052_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772227062_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Here are some pictures of the finished deck. The composite decking was cedar colored. I used cedar 4x4 post, cedar 2x4 and cedar 2x6 for the rail with Fortress balusters. I stained the cedar components with Ready Seal natural cedar before I assembled anything together on the deck. It was nice to stain everything while it was on the saw horses and not have to worry about doing it after it was on the deck.

Anyway, I know there are strong opinions about composites on here. I for one am a true wood fan, but I think in this case the combination of composite and wood makes a nice looking deck.

post-711-13777222737_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772227382_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772227392_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772227399_thumb.jpg

Yea with just those two supports would scare me too. Hey Len I'd jam a couple of 4x6's under there up against the wall, facia board, maybe double up the 2x8 then jam it. You know some new HO going to come in there and stick his new jacuzie out there some day,,LOL.