Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Burner Troubleshooting Video

That 10,000 volts DOES hurt...I know.

Another quick note for 12 volt burners, keep the spark test as short as possible...the transformer requires air flow over the heat sink to keep it from frying. Just a few seconds is all it takes.

Very good of you Larry. That is sure to help folks in being able to diagnose problems so they can move forward in parts replacement.

My used unit had the red switch flipped from a frozen bearing on the squirrel blower when I bought it as well as a dead transformer. I'd place checking that switch and the actual ability for the cage to turn as some the first things to check as if ya got no blower turn then ya got no fuel being pumped.

For what it worth here some my basic troubleshooting techniques if I experience heat problem while in the field:

Although I can't hear blower due to main engine running it is easy enough to feel for the air where it comes out the stack if I climb up side of trailer. If I got none then chances are that red switch has flipped (did that a time or two) or more often than not the main vac/flow/pressure switch is at fault. I have my pressure switch wired for easy bypass with wire nuts. When I run out of fuel I usually go through a brief phaze of puffing out white smoke until it goes absolutely dry. If machine is in view I don't even have to check fuel level to know I am out. If machine was out of view when it went cold I physically check fuel level then what I do is I get some light behind my view of the stack exhaust coming out my trailer and pull trigger. Since it has been in use there usually enough heat still in the stack to show any air distortion from blower working or not. If not, I climb up and feel for it. Again, no blower then it the main switch or red switch..

I think I have my Beckett wired a tad different than the unit in the video in that everything is one loop. Solinoid and transformer both get no power until trigger is pulled as they all in series with pressure switch. Could be wrong but I think that the way I have it..the power has to complete circuit through the transformer arc in order for solinoid to work which keeps the dire situation of fuel going unburned and soaking the burner insulation. Unburned fuel can easily create a burner fire if electrics go out for ay length of time is my feeling.

..Just so others know, connected just inside to that metal gas line (shown as fuel test point) are the fuel nozzle and ignitor probes. I suggest pulling out once in awhile to clean and make sure the nozzle sprays rather then squirts or seaps out. Think there is a screen in the nozzle to catch particles that your main filter/water seperator missed. Mines never clogged there but nozzle has gotten carbon buildup early on right at the orifice. A pin worked fine for me. Touch of acid also works if yer taking it totally out.

Just please make sure folks that all fuel testing is done with no power to transformer or at least no chance for accidental arc and do them with machinery outside away from other fuel or fire sources.

Edited by MMI Enterprises