Sign in to follow this  
Dublin

Outlast Wood Seal??

Hiya Folks,

Been reading and learning a lot from the forums regarding staining/sealing a deck (and eventually re-finishing the cabin it's attached to). Anyway, I've got samples from ReadySeal and Armstrong Clark with more coming from PermaChink. A brand/product that was recommended to me from a local log mill that manufacturers log homes is called Outlast Wood Seal. He seemed really excited by it. I haven't found all that much about it on the web so thought I'd ask if folks here have had any experience with it and what their impressions are? Seems it is sold in a 1 gal concentrate that then gets mixed into 4 gallons of min spirits for application. Thanks much for any insight.

Cheers,

Dublin

Edited by Beth n Rod
added prefix

Hiya Folks,

Been reading and learning a lot from the forums regarding staining/sealing a deck (and eventually re-finishing the cabin it's attached to). Anyway, I've got samples from ReadySeal and Armstrong Clark with more coming from PermaChink. A brand/product that was recommended to me from a local log mill that manufacturers log homes is called Outlast Wood Seal. He seemed really excited by it. I haven't found all that much about it on the web so thought I'd ask if folks here have had any experience with it and what their impressions are? Seems it is sold in a 1 gal concentrate that then gets mixed into 4 gallons of min spirits for application. Thanks much for any insight.

Cheers,

Dublin

You do NOT want that one...if you get this product get the one you don't have to mix. The one you mix yourself puts VOC compliance in your hands...when you add the spirits it is then up to you if you add more/too much and end up going over the VOC law mark....and break the law. (due to be nationwide in 2009 I think)

In my opinion there are products out there you do not have to add spirits to that are already compliant and perform just fine.

Beth

Well, I'm not sure but I would hate to tell someone to go ahead and blast the ozone....know what I mean? When you have to add to something....you have to question what you end up with . ;) I know you get that.

Beth

Beth, are individuals/homeowners subject to VOC compliance?

Rod here...

The regulation stated that manufacturers are not allowed to create formulas that require additional components to be added by the user which would increase the VOC's beyond the limits set by the EPA. ie no formulas that you can add mineral spirits to in order to have a packaged product that is compliant but not usable in its current state without additional regulated ingredients to make it a viable product.

Must be user ready.

Volatile Organic Compounds

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/14582-links-voc-regulations-etc.html

These links should help.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod