Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Johnson

What is the value of Networking?

Question

I wanted to share this story of a problem today... It is a bit of a long post, but it illustrates the true value of networking!

===================================================

What is the value of networking?

Today we were working on the interior of a log cabin. We prepped it yesterday and today we tacked it off and started applying Sikkens Cetol BL Clear Low luster. The homeowner had purchased five gallons and had to special order it from his supplier. We quickly realized that we were going to be short of product.

Here is the dilemma…. We have to have the interior done by Wednesday night.. A contractor is coming Thursday Morning from out of state to sand, prep and stain / seal the Oak floors. The homeowner called his supplier and could not get it in until Friday at best. We have scaffolding set up in the great room, the peaks of the ceilings are at 28 feet. We were in a bind to say the least.

We are on a mountain with no cell coverage and no internet in the Catskills. I called Tom Defrancisco, J&T Mobile Wash (a member of the NYPWC Network) and asked him if he could get the product locally. The homeowner was wiling to travel as far as he needed too for product. Tom was on the phone with Jimmy Bruno another contractor in the network when I called him. I told him what I needed and he said he would ask Jimmy to check around his area. We called my local sickens dealer and many others that they referred me to with no luck; everyone needed to special order it.

Jimmy Bruno called me at the cabin and he took the time to jump on the internet and look for Sikkens Distributors to check with for product. He had checked many places already with no luck. He said there is a paint store listed in Delhi NY. I know the store it is a small mom and pop operation. Jimmy gave me the phone number and I called the owner, told him what I needed. He said, “yea, I think I have some in the back. Sure enough he had 4 gallons!

My hat is off to Jimmy Bruno and Tom Defrancisco for their efforts. This is an example of the true value of networking and contractors helping contractors. Their efforts saved me a bundle of $$$ and the homeowner a major headache. The homeowner told me that this the most unselfish act of professionalism with contractors that he had ever witnessed. This meant a lot coming from a homeowner that currently owns a general contracting business himself in New Jersey. He said that he will call me to help him find a contract cleaner or wood restoration company in the future when the need arises.

This is the value of Networking. Everybody Wins!!!

Again, thanks to Jimmy Bruno and Tom Defrancisco.

Edited by Mathew Johnson

10 answers to this question

Great that they could help you out, and I bet next time you order plenty before the job. 5 gallons does not sound like much for a log cabin, to me that screams lots of wood aka big sponge.

Interior coverage with Sikkens should be pretty good, it's not going to absorb the way an exterior will. It must be a good sized cabin. Matt how many coats did you apply?

Beth

Interior coverage with Sikkens should be pretty good, it's not going to absorb the way an exterior will. It must be a good sized cabin. Matt how many coats did you apply?

Beth

Cleaned wood first. Sanded entire cabin, tacked off all surfaces, applied one coat. Waited 24 hours, will be lightly sanding entire interior cabin with 220 grit, tack off and apply second coat. They will make the call on the third coat. I priced the third coat option at 50 percent of the original contract.

As far as the coverage, I told the homeowner to get 10 gallons, he said he was trying to save a few bucks LOL, I told him that just because he only bought 5 gallons, it wouldnt change the coverage rate.

He just called and asked if we would paint the three ceilings in the bedrooms. I had mentioned that it would be between 650 and 750 plus materials to do the three ceilings 12X12,12X16, Upstairs is 10X14 (part of the ceiling is the tongue and groove) - (coat of primer / two coats of paint.

This couple are probably the best clients I have ever worked for. So far we have done: three of their decks, the cabin exterior, sealed the garage floors, washed their camper, washed two ATV's and trapped two porcupines that were eating the laminated beam. They want me to go down to Jersey to do work for them and their families in the spring. I will likely refer the work out due to time constraints

Great story......and just another reason to attend these Roundtables to meet guys like Tom and Jimmy. I met Tom at one of the ACR roundtable a couple of years ago and Jimmy I read many of his bulletin board post over the years. This is why I always say that the Bulletin boards are a form of networking also. There all part of the big picture which is NETWORKING!!