Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Look At This Late Season Beauty!

Question

I got a call last week for a resto on this "professionally restored' redwood deck. HO said that they had the deck done 2 years previous and had no idea what the contractor had applied as a sealer. Funny, or maybe not so funny, that most of my late season calls are these nasty acrylics! This will be my first time working with a boost for my stripper mix. I bought some Sierra Propylene Glycol and plan on mixing 1/2 gal PG to my 8oz. p/g stripper. I'm actually really excited to get the chance, this late in the season, to work with a booster... I expect this PG to heat up my mixture, should I be taking any extra precautions with respect to masking (plants,house paint, MYSELF!)

Wunderbar!

post-1749-137772228366_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772228371_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772228378_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772228382_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772228385_thumb.jpg

29 answers to this question

Wouldn't get carried away...look at the msds, is just a combo of the two main caustics. Any good stripper will burn the bajeezus out ya so we need to be real careful. That said, a tiny drop of cream probably more likely to just sit there getting active on ya for a tad longer time before ya notice compared to a wet drop of liquid caustic. In example, I tend to not notice the thick jasco product when it get's on me until it too late.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

After hearing about Rick's injuries this stuff, I gotta say my knees be a trembling a bit when it comes to working with this nuclear shiznik! Jim, you clearly seem to have experience with this stripper cream, whats you safety protocol when using it? Anything else to keep in mind?

Matt,

I used 9 gals. of Eacochem Stripper Cream for the first time on a job earlier this month. It is extremely caustic, much more so than straight NaOH, and care in handling should be taken.

Safety glasses are a must. I cannot imagine the damage if any got into the eyes. Good quality chemical gloves, preferably long must be used. Keep a source of fresh water close, I used a garden hose and nozzle. Get the stripper off skin or clothing immediately by flooding with water. I kept a bucket of citric acid handy to neutralize after rinsing the affected area, and rinsing with water again.

BTW, stripper cream is not recommended for removing acrylics. I used it to strip off a primer and latex, as well as a Benjamin Moore acylid solid stain with a Behr's clear silicone applied on top.

You apply it thick to the surface you are stripping and let it dwell overnight. Don't try to "stretch" it out, apply it liberally.

Thanks for the information,Rick. Hey, I just saw some news coverage of that weather your having back east! Looks like you got your final deck of the season buckled up just before that snow started falling! Well done. I remember you mentioning it a couple of posts back, but just saw the video footage... Believe it or not, California is expecting its first rain in 8 months beginning Friday evening. Unfortunately, this 4-5 day rain storm is going to stall the 2 decks I have in currently have in production. To the best of my knowledge, the Bay Area does not have any snowfall forecasted....at least for the next 2-5 years.

Safety, Change gloves often if using throw away type , don't touch your private parts unless you've washed your p hand!! Cover skin, safety glasses and if you think it has hit you exposed skin rinse and hit it with vinegar. Keep a bucket of water close for use.

I did a Stripper Creamer two weeks ago next to a Koi Pond. No dead ones yet !! Came off like Butter. Covered with plastic over night and hit with a turbo nozzle to break up the finish.