Sign in to follow this  
patriot pressure washing

best solid stains?

Question

7 answers to this question

Olympic Maximum is a synthetic fortified type...and but I've used Cabot 7400 semi solid.. is more of an old school curing oil type. Not for going over existing coatings though.. They both have decent color options.

Edited by MMI Enterprises
stated wrong product

Mike, We are pretty dedicated to Flood's Solid stain. It is a very good product and properly prepped and applied, will not come off. We have been testers for Flood, before Azko bought them out. I worked with the chemists personally and the product is what they say it is. The signs they advertise in HD with is one of our decks. Check out their web site. Thank you.

Mike,

Might be best if you can determine what type of solid stain is currently on the deck. Does it emulsify at all with a test area of sodium hydroxide stripper? If not, it could be an acrylic stain. If it is an acrylic, you would be ill advised to use a solid oil based stain.

Hey thanx Rick. I edited my post above as the OVT is not for horizontal decking but rather really only verticle wood such as siding, pergola, railing systems, etc.

I do believe though for certan cases that it would act sufficiently as it's own primer in going over an acrylic just like oil based primer. Was sold to me as such anyways... So but yea on the horizontals it is always a concern on what can be used over an existing situation and when it comes to that existing situation being an acrylic I always strip it off befre going with an oil. If it case of using ovt on verticles I try to stick with using the 7400 series on the stripped horizontal parts.

Mike, sounds you might have bit off more of a job than your currently ready for. Do a bunch of forum searching here and you should come up with something to get off the existing solid if it is acrylic. I never take a solid job less I know I can get it off or work with it.

Yea i tried sodium hydroxide already it barely touched it. the guy cant remember what was on it but knows they dont make it no more b/c he used to work at sherwin williams and remember they stopped making the product so i guess im gonna have to put a cabots solid on it. i was originally goin with twp. this is the first solid stain i havent been able to get off for some reason.

i used the sherwinn williams deck scapes on my own deck and have been very satisfied with the results. this was 3 years ago and it's still going strong. the only thing i would do different on a solid deck is to go with a darker color than what i did. i used "cypress moss" which is a light grey. a light color deck shows all the dirt, especially my dog's foot prints after he comes out of the creek.

good luck,

rando

Well what Cabot product you refering to Mike?

Between foot traffic/durability issues, and the lack of ability to fully encase deck boards away from moisture, the Cabot has not shown me suitable product either in their oil line or acrylic line to go over existing synthetic coatings...Existing oil coating perhaps yes,, but acylic I doubt. ProVT their synthetic offering is nt suitable...pdf info specifically restricts it for horizontals..