Sign in to follow this  
John Orr

Deckmate?

Question

13 answers to this question

Have not tried it...or seen it...would like to hear from others who have. :)

Beth

While I recover, I'm planning to have my assistant strip my Oly Max Toner and apply some AC with a Deckmate. If it lasts more than a few boards per pad, I may fall in love! Just wish it had a bigger tank...sometimes size does matter! :winkanim:

I tried the Deckmate when I first began a few years ago. It came out and I thought "Wow! This should be great!" WRONG! I spent the next 30 minutes frantically on my hands and knees with towels trying to quickly clean up the mess before the stain soaked in too much in a big sloppy mess. It dumped crazy amounts and it pooled out everywhere and in no way shape or form is useful other than for a quick nervous breakdown if you need an adrenalin rush. This product was apparently designed by a pissed off stainer who wanted to scare a few newbies out of business.

Edited by CraftonHill

I tried the Deckmate when I first began a few years ago. It came out and I thought "Wow! This should be great!" WRONG! I spent the next 30 minutes frantically on my hands and knees with towels trying to quickly clean up the mess before the stain soaked in too much in a big sloppy mess. It dumped crazy amounts and it pooled out everywhere and in no way shape or form is useful other than for a quick nervous breakdown if you need an adrenalin rush. This product was apparently designed by a pissed off stainer who wanted to scare a few newbies out of business.

LOL I was under the impression that this is a new product - maybe not. It would appear that just using their pads to spread the stain after spraying may be the answer. In spite of your experience, I will try it - on my own deck - so that only my wife will get upset with me.

I am hoping for your sake that over the years it has been improved and you have a good experience. Please let us know! p.s. I am a wife. My husband says it is much better to have a pissed off customer than a pissed off wife. The second can be much more costly.

I am hoping for your sake that over the years it has been improved and you have a good experience. Please let us know! p.s. I am a wife. My husband says it is much better to have a pissed off customer than a pissed off wife. The second can be much more costly.

LOL Your husband is truly a wise man! Let's hope the Deckmate has improved so we won't have to worry about either being PO'd.

John, if it leaks, try duct tape on it and report your results here: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/club-house/15130-how-many-uses-duct-tape-there-2.html#post144195

:lol:

Beth :cup:

p.s. sorry - could not resist!

LOL...I wonder if my orthopedic surgeon will be using any duct tape on my new knee? Or maybe Doc Tape?:lol:

I had one customer bring one of those out and offer me to use this spring. I kind of laughed and thought it was a toy DIY thingy and passed. China bristle floor brush after spraying for me. I'm interested in the Deckster next year with the floor brush applicator option. Has anyone used this before?

your knees again john? i've had both of mine fixed (torn lateral meniscus) but luckily it was covered by workman's comp. hope you are doing ok. back to the deck tool...i used one on my deck 3 years ago. it came as a kit with a power sprayer. mine worked great. you fill up the reservoir with stain and twist the handle to let it out. the little brushes worked well in covering between the boards. in my case i used a solid water bourne stain from sherwinn williams. deck still looks great. no complaints from me on this one.

rando

I've tried small tank applicators and diy backpack applicators for acrylic floor finishes over the years and they generally suck. Got to have trigger on/off for chance at success but regardless they a pain in dealing with filling them. If tank too big the swinging weight becomes a thing for the birds.

Spraying a deck gets the cracks, or china bristle gets the cracks. Another variation I see if boards are smooth is to spray then backbrush using the same absorbant type mcrofiber finish applicators I currently use for acrylic flooring.

In theory, a very loadable pushbroom sized china bristle followed by back brush/absorbing with a microfiber mop would be good system for breezy days or for those that don't like to spray or keep equipment up. But where to get such a broom/brush that really holds alot? Concrete staining (newlook)or carwash brush I assume might be most cost effective. Getting the stain on as fast as ya like and into the cracks with the brush and then absorbing the excess up with fiber excites me a tad. Fiber can be run along straight edge of a container to get out excess. The applicator pad is like $7 and probably last a whole season. My current use sees them going a couple month as acrylic dries a bit in them even when kept in a bag. At first I thought I could just strip it on out but they don't flow or move over flooring the same after. That is totally different application though to where I am just about jogging while doing thousands of sq. ft. at a very consistant level. The watery nature of that stuff makes for a suction actually that is not likely on a deck. So I would just say it depends if the material can hold up to oil or not. We'll see in spring.

I suggest, if anyone wants to try them out with oil, that ya consider the likely durability of the swivel on the mop and that for safety sake ya put the fiber in yer firecan or lidded pot after each use.