Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

Sherwine Williams Deckscape stain

Question

I just bid a 12x50 and an 8x15 deck today but the guy has already bought 8 gallons of this stain in a oil based simi trans. Has anyone ever used this before and what is the PITA factor if any with it. Is it bad to shine up? Therre are "caps" front and back on the top and bottom of the banister rails so there will be tight spaces to get to for sure. Any tips would be great.

Note this deck was built in Nov 2006 and stained in June 07 with SWD but it was a water based version and has failed already. Thanks.

16 answers to this question

Gonna be stripping the failed waterbased eh?

Don't know nothing much of the Sherwin oil offering elsewhere. Here their offering is the AC line which there is of course at least some data available now through these boards of durability and use. Am sure someone experienced with Deckscapes oil will chime in..but hey if it not custom mixed Sherwin will take it back and you can then just get the AC off Scott. You can use the prerequisate of it being Sherwins offering elsewhere as suitable product choice to your customer if ya would rather use it over their own.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Yea I want to use the AC but this SW is a custom toned mix. Can't believe this numb nut bought all that before speaking to me. I think he might have been concidering doing it himself until he remembered doing it the first time. (brushed it..yea a 12x50) I belive AC is only offered at Sherwin W's in California. I'm going to double check to see if they will take it back and use the AC so I don't have to dismantle the dang thing to wipe the banister cranny's. Just hoping someone here has used it before.

I just bid a 12x50 and an 8x15 deck today but the guy has already bought 8 gallons of this stain in a oil based simi trans. Has anyone ever used this before and what is the PITA factor if any with it. Is it bad to shine up? Therre are "caps" front and back on the top and bottom of the banister rails so there will be tight spaces to get to for sure. Any tips would be great.

Note this deck was built in Nov 2006 and stained in June 07 with SWD but it was a water based version and has failed already. Thanks.

We are no longer using Sherwin Williams Deck Stain products.

I have used it before a few years ago. The color retention has been excellent on that deck. Transparency is similar to the AC semi, with SW clay pigment.

Well now...bad news,,,the original Sherwin Williams Water born is an Acrilic....yea less than 18mo old on a 12x50 and an 8x15...Not good...Get this the SW store sold him like I said another 8 gal of oil SW after him telling them what the issue was. Which that wont work if the acrylic won't come up which I doubt will given its only14 mo old. At least I suspect there would be spots or sections that won't anyway. It's failed pretty bad but it still has alot of color in it and I think it wasn't put on correctly by THE PAINTER with his airless sprayer. HO says he hired "some guy who sprayed it and I helped him". I don't think it was back brushed or wiped..Here is what I think I'm going to prepose...Strip the crap out of it and see whats left....then if not completely stripped just let it sit and fail some more until say June then strip it again and then do the job...What do you think....any suggestions would be helpful. I know acrylic "can" be done but this deck is just so big I'm afraid some areas won't turn out as good as others and it's all one big level rectangle so it would be noticeable as you look across the deck.

Hey MudDuck,

How are the rails constructed? Are they made with the standard 2x2 pressure treated balusters? If so it may be cheaper and easier to just replace them rather than try to strip the acrylic off of them. A 36" baluster cost around $0.98 and the 42" ones cost around $1.15 at Lowes. Put in around $2.00 each to replace them and you may come out ahead. Just something to consider...

Edited by Palmetto Home and Deck

Mud duck,

I've used Deckscapes in the past and it's OK. No real problems with it except cost. It will fail, just as any other stain, in about 2 yrs, and can be removed easily with a mild SH stripper. We exclusively use Deckscapes SOLID stain for 2-tone projects. It hold up real well. Our stain of choice is RS.

Well I told the guy that it was a crap sandwich one way or the other, that what they sold him to go over this would not work because what was on it wouldn't strip out enough "probably" and to try to take it back. (I don't want to use it anyway much less it sit there over the winter in the can). Snow has been blowing for about 18 hrs and it's 26 degree's hear now so I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything with it this year other than maybe go try to pre strip it,,let it fail some more and set it up for next year to re strip then seal with either Rs or AC....I don't know if it "failed" as much as it wasn't put on right and a 12x50 and 8X15 hard acrylic job doesn't sound fun in winter at any profit margin.....:lgcold:

Good grief, I cant help myself here, I gotta reply. SW DecksScapes semi in water or oil can be like trying to spread muddy water. On darker tints it applies ok, but on lighter tints the pigment doesn't seem to mix with the base. On the one deck I had a good experience with on application, it was worn off in traffic areas within 10 months. For solids I like just fine.

I just finished a job a couple of weeks ago (while it was still warm here) stripping Deckscapes acrylic semitrans and applying RS. The stripping was a nightmare and in order to strip the stuff effectively I still had to rough up the wood quite a bit. I spent a lot of time sanding afterwards. The end product was stunning, thanks to Ready Seal, but from now on my acrylic stripping labor charge is double or triple that of stripping an oil based sealer.

I would never try to strip that stuff in sub 60 degree temps, either.

Yes i know about the cold mud duck was up there sunday and cleaned a hood >Hard to walk on a metal roof that freezes.LOL.I was at that Jap. place there.But anyways the cold we are having is not a good idea to do any sealing or staining.Tell your customer to put that sealer he bought inside in some warm place then it will be ok.Leave it out and it get ruined.Thank You

Marko P.S. I have stripped decks useing a sodium hydroxide bleach and water soluion.About 1/2 to 1 gal. sodium 1/2 to 1 gal. bleach and 1 gal. water.Wet the area first that is being cleaned and wet the area where the run off is going.This has worked in the past for me.Did a log home and the stain and sealer came of no problem like they just installed.This solution works well on wood.Just try and you wil see.Need to get some sodium call me i'll sel you a little for you to test out.A buddy of mine just started using this and he is impressed.Works well.Some might not agree but i see it work and know.Now the soap i use to put in will help as well.I will sell you a five of pure and you can probably get 5-10 batches of cleaner to make this.Thank you

Marko

Edited by cleanhoods

Well this HO decided to get some other bids...lol. I made him a pretty good offer I thought he couldn't refuse at 1700.00. (using his stain)... But I'm probly better off not doing it anyway at that price...I did tell him if anyone under bid me by much he better take notice because they probly don't know what their doing or getting into. Hey cleanhood you want to come up and bid this thing and scare him back to me,..lol

By the way how bad was the Jap place?

Well this HO decided to get some other bids...lol. I made him a pretty good offer I thought he couldn't refuse at 1700.00. (using his stain)... But I'm probly better off not doing it anyway at that price...I did tell him if anyone under bid me by much he better take notice because they probly don't know what their doing or getting into. Hey cleanhood you want to come up and bid this thing and scare him back to me,..lol

By the way how bad was the Jap place?

Hey MudDuck

I don't think he decided to get some other bids because of your price. I think it is because you told him something he didn't want to hear...the TRUTH. He does not want to admit he made a mistake with going with the Sherwin Williams Water Borne Stain in the first place. That is why he has gone back and bought the same thing again.

I lose jobs now and then, too, because I will tell the truth about a product. I think the biggest problem I run into is when the homeowner has decided to go with Behr stain on their deck. Most people are open minded to my information and opinion about different stains and sealers, but to a few, anything I say only against what they have decided to use only makes me a villain to them. They see the Behr commercials on TV and then they check it out on Consumer Reports that rates it as one of the best stains on the market and their minds are made up. It does not matter to them about my real world experience with it.

I’m sure he will find someone that will come along and tell this guy whatever he wants to hear. From you have described you may be better off if that happens at this point. If he decides to go with you anyway and use what you know to be the best thing for him and his deck he would probably turn out to be super critical and be looking for things to pick on because he does not want you to prove him wrong.

deckscape is crap! I was a big fan of UV sunblock from sherwin williams its predecessor but the new VOC compliant deckscape lasted only a few months before it faded in my experience. I re coated 3 decks on my own dime to keep good customers. I love my sherwin williams store but I don't use their deck stains any longer !