Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Industrial Vacuum

NIKRO Industries Commercial - Industrial Series of Vacuums

These folks manufacture vac's for dry applications. We have one of their 5000 Cfm HEPA filtered units. We use it for dry duct cleaning.

Here is a recent picture of this unit cleaning several hundred feet of horizontal duct.

Dave Olson

One Tough P.W.

Just curious as to how long you have been in the business? Your profile does not say much to that effect.

Any specialties? I did notice you are EPA compliant. What does that specificly mean? How can I get certified?

Do you pump, filter and recycle your wash water? If so can you give some direction to those asspects? Maybe you could reccomend some equipment.

Are you able to upcharge any for being EPA compliant?

Recovery seems to be the way we will have to go in the future.

Beth and Rob,

Do you think this could be a topic or subject that could be added in the future?

In Texas and many other parts of the country wash water run off to storm drains is a hot topic.

What type of conformance does the EPA expect?

The Nikro system that we have is for Dry only. On this job we were cleaning the interior of supply and return ducts for a very large air handler. Parts of the return had 4-6" of dust inside!!

Dave Olson

Originally posted by beyoungsr

One Tough P.W.

Just curious as to how long you have been in the business? Your profile does not say much to that effect.

I have been in the Cleaning field for many years, however the PW thing is fairly new as a business, but I have done it off and on for quite a few years.

Any specialties?

I do Flatwork, Building Washdowns, Grafitti Removal, and a variety of other stuff as it comes up.

I did notice you are EPA compliant. What does that specificly mean? How can I get certified?

I said compliant, not Certified. The EPA does not Certify people or equipment, as of yet, and I doubt they will anytime soon.

Do you pump, filter and recycle your wash water? If so can you give some direction to those asspects? Maybe you could reccomend some equipment.

Yes, I do pump, filter, and recycle water. Which direction I point you in depends how much you would like to spend, and the type of washing that you do.

Are you able to upcharge any for being EPA compliant?

Yes and no. Some places like gas stations and auto service areas need to be cleaned and they know first hand what the EPA will do to them if they hire a non-compliant washer. So they will pay more than the average place.

On the flip side though, recovery is law and just because someone does not want to pay for it, does not mean that it does not have to be done.

Recovery seems to be the way we will have to go in the future.

The future is now. The Clean Water Act was written in 1972 and they still are not enforcing it as they should be. This harms us and our children. Everybody has to do their part, to remedy this situation.

One Tough Pressure,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hit you with so many questions.

You are right that recovery is needed now! It does not seem like many P.W. companies are that concerned with it yet,

Differant parts of Texas are really starting to activly enforce it.

So you pump and filter your water and than dispose in a sanitary sewer by permit? What type of filtration do you use for oil removal? If filter socks what micron do you use?

The city I live in is hiring a storm water program administrator. I expect active enforcement in the next year or less!

Originally posted by beyoungsr

You are right that recovery is needed now! It does not seem like many P.W. companies are that concerned with it yet,

That is part of the problem. Alot of washers are in it for a quick buck, and they go for volume alone. If they normally wash let's say 5 accounts at night and are racing between them to finish before they open, then when they recover, they can only get 2 or 3. They think it takes to long and cost to much to bother with, and will deal with it later. Well, as shocking as it sounds, now is later.

So you pump and filter your water and than dispose in a sanitary sewer by permit?

I reuse my water for washing and rinse with fresh. When dumping, I use the Sanitary Sewer, but in the areas that I am washing, they do not require a Permit, as of yet. I am registered as a Wastehauler, and that in itself, gives some dumping authority. This all depends on your local area, as it varies from City to City.

What type of filtration do you use for oil removal? If filter socks what micron do you use?

I have a Filtration Unit that uses Coacelating(sp) plates, foam filters, and Reticulated Media Packs, which then go to Polishing filters down to 5 Micron before it returns to the tank