Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

104 Year Old Brick

Question

Hey Everybody,

I have a client who just purchased a house that is 104 years old and wants to restore it. The brick is filthy(a little mold, and mostly astmospheric dirt) and the mortar is soft(not crumbling). I am leaning towards using the ProSoco Restoration Cleaner but would like to use something that does not contain hydrofluoric acid. Prosoco has an enviroklean but it is 4 times the price of the normal restoration cleaner. I would also like to recommend a sealer once I am done cleaning it, any thoughts?

4 answers to this question

Hey Everybody,

I have a client who just purchased a house that is 104 years old and wants to restore it. The brick is filthy(a little mold, and mostly astmospheric dirt) and the mortar is soft(not crumbling). I am leaning towards using the ProSoco Restoration Cleaner but would like to use something that does not contain hydrofluoric acid. Prosoco has an enviroklean but it is 4 times the price of the normal restoration cleaner. I would also like to recommend a sealer once I am done cleaning it, any thoughts?

I started out in tuck-pointing and brick restoration before branching off into power washing. Be extremely careful with your pressure and dwell time the brick will scar very easily. Older buildings were made using extremely soft hydraulic brick and slaked lime mortar.

I am on a job now where we just used low pressure to remove all of the slaked lime mortar joints instead of diamond blades. The client will not be putting the building on the Historic register so we have a LOT more freedom on cleaning and re-pointing techniques.

Most likely you will blow out at least some of the slaked lime mortar. I have been using 1 part lime, 1 part white portland and 6 parts sand to closely match the existing mortar in my area. Your mix will depend on local materials used at the time and if the building will be on the Historical Register.

As far as waterproofing I use WB siliconoxide by Prosco most of the time. I charge 65 cents per square foot of surface area to clean and seal.

I hope this can help.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services

Kirchhoff Home Improvement Maintenance and Repair

114 Forest Hill Ave. Jefferson City, Mo 65109

Office 573-635-2708 Toll Free 1-866-635-2708