Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

This was Scary

Question

I stained a deck a few weeks ago and the other day the homeowner called me to say he found some over spray on his windows. Well, if I did, it was "my bad" so I told him I would be there as soon as I could to take care of the problem.

When I got there sure enough I found some over spray on his windows, but it did not look as bad as he described. This is a brand new house the owner bought about three months ago, but has not moved into yet. He told me there were a lot of problems in the house he was having the contractor repair before he moves in. A neighbor caught me in the yard and told me that for three months the contractor had been in and out with his work crews constantly and was wondering what was going on in the house.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I was there cleaning the windows I went inside to look through the glass to see if I could see the stain better from the inside.

The owner wasn't there when I went in, but when I did go in I could not believe what I saw. There were hundreds and hundreds of pieces of blue tape all over the walls and ceiling. I finally figured out that the owner was marking out what he thought were imperfections that he wanted fixed. I tried to find what he as marking and for the life of me I could not find anything out of the normal. I mean this was in every room, closet, behind doors, on top of doors, and ceiling. It would take someone days just to go around and pull the pieces of tape off the walls.

When the owner got back he got down on the hardwood floor on his knees and elbows with a spray bottle and a rag and started going over the floor inch by inch looking for any kind of mark or blemish no matter how small. By the time I left he had covered about five sf of floor and had little pieces of tape all over the place. He told me it was probably going to take him a week to go over and mark the living and dining room. He told me the house was still was under the warranty period where the contractor was suppose to come in and fix anything he found wrong so he was going to make sure everything was right before he moved in.

I have heard of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and have thought I have run into people with it before, but seeing this guy spending weeks and months in this new home looking for and marking out anything and everything he thinks is not just absolutely perfect like he was doing give me the chills.

I'm sure he will be calling me back for something as soon as he gets through going over the hardwood floor.

post-711-137772232201_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232209_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232215_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232221_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232227_thumb.jpg

39 answers to this question

A Warranty for a house is usually for Two years and it's for issues concerning Settling. Splits and cracked walls and major repairs. Problems with a finish and it's appearance must be taken care when the work was done and thats considered touch up work. Not Warranty work!

Jim,

The contractor that built this house gives, on his own, a warranty for a certain period of time after closing for the owners to find what you and what any sane person would describe as a touch up just to sweeten the deal. The homeowner told me that one reason he bought this house over another one was because of this contractor's policies.

Unfortunately, for the contractor, he probably never counted on running into a guy like this. This could serve as lesson for us here. I have read post where people wanted to give little extras for free thinking that would help them get the job. Too often when you try to do something for free it will come back and bite you in the end.

I bet the contractor that built and sold this house will be going back and re writing his policy after this.

Trouble is there are folks out there that believe in perfection. The problem is an easy solve. On any new construction, we always state on our contract, the dry wallers must provide a level 5 finish. We stste the customer must sign and approve, the walls and trim. If not accepted, they must go back to work. We also provide so many hrs. for touch ups. If the customer has a bug, someone else has to fix it. After all, our work is to paint a level 5 finish. It doesn't get any better. We also use the National standards of the PDCA. This is accepted by the AIA, and many other organizations. This lets the HO know what to expect from us and what they will get. Again solving a problem. If after all this paper work and our perfect painting job, there is usually not a problem. If there is we work out the problems or stop work and go to court. Nothing is a given though. We all have to just be firm and do our home work. Hopefully one day, the ***** will offer such standards, etc. One bit of suggestion, Never burn bridges. If you insult the HO, they will smear your name. If they have any pull in your community, you may go out of business? Hope this helps. Thank you.

Trouble is there are folks out there that believe in perfection. The problem is an easy solve. On any new construction, we always state on our contract, the dry wallers must provide a level 5 finish. We stste the customer must sign and approve, the walls and trim. If not accepted, they must go back to work. We also provide so many hrs. for touch ups. If the customer has a bug, someone else has to fix it. After all, our work is to paint a level 5 finish. It doesn't get any better. We also use the National standards of the PDCA. This is accepted by the AIA, and many other organizations. This lets the HO know what to expect from us and what they will get. Again solving a problem. If after all this paper work and our perfect painting job, there is usually not a problem. If there is we work out the problems or stop work and go to court. Nothing is a given though. We all have to just be firm and do our home work. Hopefully one day, the ***** will offer such standards, etc. One bit of suggestion, Never burn bridges. If you insult the HO, they will smear your name. If they have any pull in your community, you may go out of business? Hope this helps. Thank you.

Standard Specification

5.1 Unless otherwise clearly defined in the project

documents, the criteria for acceptance of

architectural paints on the interior surfaces of

structures shall be that of a properly painted

surface as defined by PDCA Standard P-1. “A

“properly painted surface” is defined as uniform

in appearance, color, texture, hiding and sheen.

It is also free of foreign material, lumps, skins,

runs, sags, holidays, misses, or insufficient

coverage. It is also a surface free of drips,

spatters, spills or overspray caused by the

Painting and Decorating Contractor’s workforce.

In order to determine whether a surface has been

“properly painted” it shall be examined without

magnification at a distance of thirty-nine (39)

inches or one (1) meter, or more, under finished

lighting conditions and from a normal viewing

position.”

Under this criteria, I would say the contractor in this case is in pretty good shape and has little to worry about because to be able to see any place the homeowner perceived to be a defect you would have to get within inches of the wall and be on a latter in many places.

You led me to some good information which I intend to look further into. Thanks...

I vote for the 2x4 upside the customers head option as defined in post #21...lol

I bet the contractors already seen that tape and consulted his attorney and plans on doing nothing about it...Just cashing progress payments and letting time run out then demand final payment or default. He can't literally be trying to fix that or else the tape would already be down...Months???...I bet he's got some little "Kicker" in his contract just for this kind of idiot or else he wouldn't still be in the process of doing anything,,, it would just be a go to court deal. Did I understand it's the HO thats "not moving in" indicating their past closing...I bet he's suckering this guy passed some sort of deadline and have to accept the house and or default and lose his deposit. I mean you know this builder can't be trying to still make this guy happy. Thats just not going to happen. My moneys on the contractor having something up his sleeve.

WoW!

That's the worst blue tape storm I EVER saw!

And I've seen a lot!

You've got to shut these people down, immediately.

Advise them of industry standards, and 'just say no'.

If they are really, really, super nice people, the nicest people in the whole world, I would be glad to accomodate someone like that on a T & M basis if they paid my first quarter in advance, funded my 401k, provided fully funded healthcare insurance, made the down payment for my vacation home, and made me executor of their trust.

It is always best to bring these people to reality quick as possible.

:lghohoho:

WoW!

That's the worst blue tape storm I EVER saw!

And I've seen a lot!

You've got to shut these people down, immediately.

Advise them of industry standards, and 'just say no'.

If they are really, really, super nice people, the nicest people in the whole world, I would be glad to accomodate someone like that on a T & M basis if they paid my first quarter in advance, funded my 401k, provided fully funded healthcare insurance, made the down payment for my vacation home, and made me executor of their trust.

It is always best to bring these people to reality quick as possible.

:lghohoho:

There is no reality with people like that. they live in a different world than we do! :thinking:

Just screw with him, bring your own blue tape and plaster it everywhere. He'll be so screwed up trying to figure out why he put it there to think about the deck.

Or better yet take it all down,,,,,LOL

I had a guy that was following us around and pointing out what he could see. So I went back to the truck and got him a brush. He look so surprize when I handed it to him. But then he went into a conner and work there for 30min. When I came back he was taking the pieces of paint off his house which he thought it was dirt. I told him he was removing the paint, thats when he went inside and sayed there. The painter was there the next day. I think this guy was doing coke. But I did go the extra mile for him. He has gotten me about 7 jobs.

Edited by scottwash

Uhhhh?

LOL- Perhaps some memorable quotes from Norman Bates (Psycho) would be appropriate right about now.:bat:

"No! I will not hide in the fruit cellar! Ha! You think I'm fruity, huh? I'm staying right here. This is my room and no one will drag me out of it, least of all my big, bold son! "

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you? "

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it. "

The tape looks alot better on there than the UNNOTICEABLE imperfections he's covering up,...that's for sure.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw