Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Ron P a Question

Question

Hey Ron I know you probably don't spend a lot of time here any more but I've got a ? I'm considering selling my PW business here in Denver @ the end of this year and moving back to where I grew up in Western Monmouth County. How was the business environment there, types of work, commercial / residential etc. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

4 answers to this question

Jersey is booming and their is a lot of people with a lot of money.

If your a great washer and and a real good salesperson you can make money.

The wash season is what suck's.

Sometime's you can wash year round, other's you might only get in 9 to 10 month's. Depending on what you wash. Also this is the "home of FLEETWASH"

The work can be found but I would highly suggest a full time salesperson and you keep on washing. Doing both will cause you to burn out and hurt you real bad in a short season.

You will need a mix of homeowner work and commercial work to keep thing's in line. I have gotten no less then 5 flyer's dropped off in my mailbox for landscaper's turned pressure washer's this year[month].

I watched "Ned Steven's" [you can look them up on google.com] Tri-state gutter cleaner/installer/garage door/pressure washer wash a house last week.

Cold water/no chem/all pressure very little english crew[2 guy's] do a wash job.

Boy was I suprised how crappy the house looked when they collected their money and it was still wet. Hate to see the wand mark's when it was dry.

4 ft lance and working off a ladder in a 25 mile per hour wind. It was sad.

Biggest drawback is the cheap work force but a real smart guy could use that to their own advantage.

Very few hot water washer's. Very few truck washer's for small fleet's.

Flatwork is priced way to low but is hardly ever done right.

Good luck

rottie72@aol.com

Thanks for the info Ron! I'm a transplant here in CO although I've been here for 13 years now my old company based me out of here but I traveled constantly so my network is pretty weak. A lot of the guys I grew up with are major contractors from roofing to landscape to home builders (I know at least 4 who do over a million gross) all willing to help me out. I also have a family connection with every supermarket in the state. I've just been away from home too long and the drought and water restrictions have me fed up, I have 4 subdivisions for one of my customers I can't work in, 1 in Denver 3 in Aurora, that's about 600 jobs over a 2 yr period! EPA here is easy to work with as are most of the local water people (except Denver and Aurora), but the State is a joke! Sorry for the rant!

Thanks for the info again,

JD