Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Take it, Leave it?

Dinky places boss wanted me to do another location.

I mention an approx. upkeep price figure with language such as "be about $xx.xx if done every 2 week after the other place (set on busy weekday route) or I try to get done day before if I got time". So initial clean gets done on that 'day before' day and but the holiday causes a late situation for to start the upkeep...no problem. Next opportune time for to start the upkeep happens to fall same day of week as the initial clean. Should be fine, right?.. Nope!.. I call as a courtesy, clerk acts liek we're good to go. I show up, setup, then the clerk guy 2 min later says 'boss says we gettin shipments in(hours after I'll be gone) so ya can't do it, boss says come back Sun?, have to do on Sun. or can't do.' ...I'm like umm hell but ok, I guess I'll be flexable and try it out. I don't even charge em for a canceled show...

Week later Sun. middle of night has me showing up, that's like 4 weeks in, and a nice clerk lady says after I set up "How much?"

...I says "$XX.xx" (which is a measly $10 higher then weekday route, still lower than other job, and way lower than you can imagine btw)

So 2 minute later clerk says after getting off phone "boss said it was to be $xx.xx....take it or leave it"...I asked her did he really say that and she said yea thats exactly what he said. That little phraze struck a cord in me. Yea mostly a prideful one but also one related to sensability. I thought to myself heck I should pay attention and consider it a question to be answered. Took all of about 5 seconds to conclude that this work is definitely not the type I am after and my time would be better spent getting up hours earlier in the mornings with family or to spend getting quality day work. (I mean look what time I am up writing this crap)..So I says to clerk as I am loading up "Tell him I'll leave it and the other one too if he likes". She thought he was very unprofessional saying that to me and before I was on my way I let her know she was nice about it and not her fault or anything.

So at what point do you take it or leave it? Is it when ya hear a harmless statement as such or are you totally immune to this kinda stuff because you prequalify or are very strict and clear in your contracting, etc.?

Well, one could get a bit deterred by this kind of thing but if you didn't tell the guy you charge for being asked to come and do a job and then are turned away then its not really his fault either.

His reply to "the other day it was $XX.XX, take it or leave it!" leaves me the impression he had no concept of your times value especially since they asked you to come out and then turn you away and you let them do it without a charge.

I learned this from plumbers who inform you up front there is a charge just to come show up at your door and inspect the problem. Then you have to pay for whatever service and supplies/parts are needed...on top of that.

Next time, I suggest you incorporate something similar into your verbage and have them sign off on it so that you don't get jerked around.

Since you are past the negotiation stage and you have empowered your customer by not specifying any terms or conditions to cover such an incident, I suggest you leave it. Puts you in a stronger position if he decides he still wants you to do the work.

Others may disagree but right now you are down 2 trips without making a dime by your own hand.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

No worries, you dont want to have a customer with that attitude, it will just be problems and if you were helping them out in the price!!! some people think we only have their job to do that day. we are on a schedule just like them. we try to acomidate each other but sometimes its just not in the cards. good luck!