Sign in to follow this  
Dublin

Plan for Sealing--Opinions Please

Hiya Folks,

Well I'm starting to plan for sealing my deck when the weather warms up. Just as a side note, the posts and handrails are pine logs and the decking will be ipe. I plan to leave the ipe alone for now but will start on the finishing of the pine when warm enough. Anyway, here's my plan that I've assembled after reading a number of informative posts on these boards. Let me know what you think.

1. Shellguard: apply and let dry.

2. Percarb clean: 6-8oz/gal.

3. Wash with pressure washer

4. Brightener: Citric acid at 6oz/gal

5. Let dry

6. Stain/seal

Still haven't finalized my stain/sealer preference but I think the above regimen should work for all. Biggest key is to let it all dry before sealing. Whatcha think?

Thanks much.

jlc

My responses in blue:

Hiya Folks,

Well I'm starting to plan for sealing my deck when the weather warms up. Just as a side note, the posts and handrails are pine logs and the decking will be ipe. I plan to leave the ipe alone for now but will start on the finishing of the pine when warm enough. Anyway, here's my plan that I've assembled after reading a number of informative posts on these boards. Let me know what you think.

I am responding to correct the order in case this is your original plan of action...

1. Shellguard: apply and let dry. step #5

2. Percarb clean: 6-8oz/gal. step #1

3. Wash with pressure washer step #2

4. Brightener: Citric acid at 6oz/gal step#3

5. Let dry step #4

6. Stain/seal step #6

Still haven't finalized my stain/sealer preference but I think the above regimen should work for all. Biggest key is to let it all dry before sealing. Whatcha think?

Thanks much.

jlc

Reason being is that if you apply ShellGuard 1st, you will wash it all off during the other process steps plus change it's composition if any remains by using any other chemical cleaner/brightener.

It should be the last product before any sealer or finish is applied in order to remain in the wood to provide any benefit.

Rod!~

Thanks Rod. I find that interesting as Permachink specifically recommends washing the wood after the shellguard is applied. The shellguard will take approx. 2-4 weeks to dry and will leave crystals present on the surface which need to be washed off, per Permachink. I'm using their concentrated shellguard which is slightly different than their RTU product.

Cheers,

cc