Sign in to follow this  
gregative

Are you a "contractor"?

Just wondering how many people call themselves contractors? I live in FL and only fields that are state certified are "contractors" (i.e. residential cont., pool cont., plumbing cont). For workers comp exemption pressure washing actually falls under the concrete industry (from what I gathered) but there is no power/pressure washing government certifications. Please fill me in on your state and how you label yourself. Anyone in FL that reads this please fill me in if you have more info. Talk to one agency they say one thing another agency says something else...

I consider my business an exterior cleaning contractor. The definition of a contractor is:

Independent entity that agrees to furnish certain number or quantity of goods, materials, equipment, personnel, and/or services that meet or exceed stated requirements or specifications, at a mutually agreed upon price and within a specified time frame to another independent entity called contractee, principal, or project owner. (businessdictionary.com)

Based on this definition, if you write up a service proposal outlining the work that you will perform, for a given price, and you have the customer sign that proposal, you are acting as contractor.

And yes, as you stated here in Florida the pressure washing trade is coded as a construction trade in regards to worker compensation laws. If someone owns a pressure washing company in Florida they are required by law to carry works comp insurance on every employee (including themselves). Only exception to that rule is up to three owners that own at least 10% of the company can file for exemptions from the state, of course to recieve exemptions the business must be a corporation, or an LLC.

Unfortunately, the word Contractor is used as needed. Also if we look into the word Professional, it doesn't mean anything about quality or work, only if we get paid. Too many mis uses of wording?

Where I am from "Contractor" means some one who has work "contracted" out to them in a specific field of work in a profession. I am considered a contractor because of the literal term. I am contracted to do a specific job on a regular basis. In San Antonio there are some areas where certification is required, but not in a deck restoration field. We are required to follow "code" if working within the city limits, but do not have to be licensed.