Sign in to follow this  
bulletproof

hose psi rating

Question

When purchasing additional lengths of hose, I know that you should match the new hose size to the size already on the pw (i.e 3/8 to 3/8). Does this also apply to the psi rating ? Is it advisable or in any way advantageous to reasonably exceed this rating (i.e 3000 psi machine with 3500 psi hose ?:confused:

5 answers to this question

My machine is 3500 psi and it came with 4500 psi hose. I figure that if the manufacturer set it up this way, I would keep it this way.

I am not exactly sure what the percentages are, but if the hose says 4500 psi, then it is actually over by a certain percent, so in reality, my hose is overkill. That as it may be, I call it cheap insurance. It just gives that extra bit to safety and that is the most important.

IMHO....

I think the higher psi hose is overkill. It is heavier to move around, and costs more money. It is still susceptible to the same perils as lower psi rated hose, typically cuts, abrasions, and damaged couplings.

Originally posted by paul-uk

otp

wait till you have to buy new first though :D :D

Not sure what you are trying to say, but think you mean wait till I have to buy new hose and see what it costs.

Machine came with 100' and I have added 250' of the same hose to that. It is the Goodyear Neptune 4500 psi R2 250 degree.

I run the hose over my shoulder, when doing flatwork, so I could careless about the extra weight, I want peace of mind when I am using 3500 psi @ over 200 degrees.