Sign in to follow this  
kmcliffo

Burst Pressure Hose?

hi

this is probably a really "newbie" question...but this past weekend we were out on our first "practice" job and the pressure hose sprung a leak within 5 minutes...we can't figure out why/what we did wrong... Does anyone have any "troubleshooting" tips?

sounds like maybe your high pressure hose is rated for less pressure than your pressure washer or it could be a defective hose. Did the hose in question come with your washer or did you purchase it seperately? Maybe a problem with the unloader?

hi

Yes, the hose was for 2600 psi and ours is only 2400...so i don't that is it...maybe it was just defective, but thought i'd check to see if this is a common problem... FYI, it is the hose that came w/ the machine..

It would be a devastation to the industry if this was a common problem. How did your machine come packaged? Was it in a box or already put together and you just rolled it out of the store? If it was in box, could you have knicked it with a knife while opening everything? A small score in the hose will weaken it at that point and could cause a rupture over time. If it was pre-assembled, there is a possibility that either the same thing happened with whomever opened it the first time or maybe it incurred some type of damage while in storage or on display.

If none of these things seem plausible, you might consider your working environment. Did you drag it around a sharp corner (corner of a brick house, concrete sidewalk, aluminum siding or downspout, etc.). Perhaps lay a piece of equipment on it in your truck or trailer that could have cut it? Hoses are pretty resilient, so these things typically will not damage a hose (atleast not in 5 minutes), so maybe something a little more harsh. Allowing the hose to come in contact with a hot engine can ruin it immediately. I don't think 2400 psi would be enough to cut a hose, so crossing your stream over the hose probably wouldn't have damaged it to this point.

I have used the same three hoses for the past 8 months or so and have been VERY rough with them (pulling on them and dragging them through all types of terrain) and have had no problem with them,but they may also be a different type or quality. I think mine are made by goodyear and are black (many of the 2400 psi machines I see come with grey hoses and aren't quite as tough on the weave). If any of these things sound like possibilities, play stupid and take the hose back to the store for a swap out (there should be a warranty) and learn from your mistake. Of course, there is always the chance that it could have just been a bad batch of hose.

It seems like when vehicles run over my hoses that they rupture much more often. The power wash hoses my dealer used to sell me were crap so I switched over to hydraulic hoses. They seem to take a lot more abuse have worked extremely well for me.

When the hose blew on my 40 foot Corress wand I replaced it with a small diameter hydraulic hose also, instead of waiting for a new replacement to arrive from Canada.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services

Kirchhoff Home Improvement Maintenance and Repair

114 Forest Hill Ave. Jefferson City, Mo 65109

Office 573-635-2708 Toll Free 1-866-635-2708

Another question regardng high pressure hose...if the hole is near an end of the hose, can it be fixed,i.e. cut off and taken to a ipe supply shop and have nw fittings put on the end? Is this cost effective or is it cheaper to just buy a new one?

Another question regardng high pressure hose...if the hole is near an end of the hose, can it be fixed,i.e. cut off and taken to a ipe supply shop and have nw fittings put on the end? Is this cost effective or is it cheaper to just buy a new one?

Brian,

Replacing ends is another reason I switched to ½ inch hydraulic hoses. No one wanted to crimp ends on my stock PW hoses except the dealer and he took days to return them. It is much faster and easier for me to run over to any of the industrial supply shops and have them fixed there while I wait.

It is much cheaper to have them fixed, I pay $11 per end for crimping. The PW hose was $2 per foot. I now by hydraulic hose 200 foot at a time for $1 per foot (after a very nice discount for buying in bulk)

Good Luck,

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC

Kirchhoff Home Improvement Maintenance and Repair

114 Forest Hill Ave. Jefferson City, Mo 65109

Office 573-635-2708 Toll Free 1-866-635-2708

When a pressure type unloader is set to high pressure in your hose can spike up when in bypass and cause hoses to blow. Is this steel wire braid hose or hobby hose? What brand is the pressure washer?