Sign in to follow this  
Bilge Cleaner

Trailer Choice

Hi Guys

New member with trailer question for residential cleaning.

From what I've read from most of you folks is a 6X12 enclosed trailer ( w/side door) would be a decent size for this type of work, I'm thinking about a single ( 5200lb ) axle setup., any imput from those with experience would be most appriciated.

FWIW

When I was cleaning fuel tanks and bilges on Motor Yachts my one bilge cleaning truck was a 14' (NPR) flatbed which was nice but since I sold my company and moved up here to Ga and started a window glass repair company and figured a trailer rig would work better for now being my glass truck could be duel purpose/use

It's hard to answer your question as you have not provided any details about what the trailer will carry. Weight will be a consideration as I'm sure you know. Are you going to run a hot water machine? They create a lot of heat and enclosed trailers have issues to deal with when hot machines are installed in them. I would love to help you more with this. Give me a call and we can discuss all of your options.

Sorry

I should have be more specific

It will be cold water unit(4k/4gpm) might go for the standard ( ie. cheap) 275gal tank just to have though I doubt it will ever be full. My main question would be if anyone is running a single axle and how they like it. I would also be interested on what brand ( Horton,Pace,etc) enclosed trailer ( single/duel) that members are running and how they like that particular ( brand ) trailer.

Thanks in advance

Bill

P.S. Tracy I bookmarked your site,thanks.

Edited by Bilge Cleaner

I got a single axle 5x10 open. Its works fine. 325 gal tank, 5.2gpm 3000psi legacy pump cold machine, 200ft Pressure hose on a reel, five 5gal buckets on the side ready to go to town. Even with my tank full it drives fine. I keep my surface cleaner and ladder in my truck bed. I got a Chev 2500 4x4.

post-3235-137772236069_thumb.jpg

post-3235-13777223611_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4000psi

I got a single axle 5x10 open. Its works fine. 325 gal tank, 5.2gpm 3000psi legacy pump cold machine, 200ft Pressure hose on a reel, five 5gal buckets on the side ready to go to town. Even with my tank full it drives fine. I keep my surface cleaner and ladder in my truck bed. I got a Chev 2500 4x4.

Do you keep that tank full? That's really pushing the limit on that axle is that is the case.

Hi Guys

New member with trailer question for residential cleaning.

From what I've read from most of you folks is a 6X12 enclosed trailer ( w/side door) would be a decent size for this type of work, I'm thinking about a single ( 5200lb ) axle setup., any imput from those with experience would be most appriciated.

FWIW

When I was cleaning fuel tanks and bilges on Motor Yachts my one bilge cleaning truck was a 14' (NPR) flatbed which was nice but since I sold my company and moved up here to Ga and started a window glass repair company and figured a trailer rig would work better for now being my glass truck could be duel purpose/use

I would really recommend going with a tandem axle with electric brakes.

5x10 open single axle is your easiest bet. dont carry water lest you have too. the 6x12 is for the big dogs(no offense) I would rather pull my 5x10 into a neighborhood any day over my 6x12 tandem. if you have a roof to put your trailer under, and lock up, you will much rather love the open trailer. just put the water tank center over the axle and you will be fine.

I am going to order a 6x12 tandem w/torsion bar closed trailer this week. A torsion axle keeps the trailer from bouncing as much, which leads to bent axles. Figure an axle is good for 3500 total weight, 2 axles are good for 7000 GVW. A single axle will be overloaded w/275 gallons of water. A gallon weighs 8.5 #, is 2400 #. Add a PW, hoses, chemical, tools, you may be overloaded quickly.

I went and bought a very nice used 7x14 enclosed trailer yesterday., A bit larger then I think I'll ever need for cleaning but it will work nice for my glass business also so we'll see how it works out ( I do have a single axle 5x8 galv trailer for the quick jobs )