Sign in to follow this  
drod17

In between 2 pw Help!!

Question

Well, here is my first post on this forum... starting my new business in the next couple of months and am about to purchase a PW. I am in between a dewalt 3800psi/4gpm/11hp Honda with CAT pump from HD or a 4000psi/4gpm/13hp Honda with a general pump from spraymall.com. both retail for 1k. I want to know what you guys think.

18 answers to this question

Any unit at HD or Lowes won't cut it. If your looking for something cheaper but will last you longer. I started with a unit from Northern Tool. norht star 13hp 3.5gpm 4000psi. Now I run a 5.2gpw @ 3000psi. Big Difference. If you can, pay more and get a better pump. Somthing with at least 5gpm and 3000-3500psi. Go online to www.pressuretek.com look at his PWers. Check out the other vendors as well who are on TGS. Some people are going out of biz and are selling their trailer units. Craigslist, and on this forum the bargain basment. If you ask me don't waste your $$ on cheap equipment. Its a waste of your time and $$.

Dane

Either are good starter units. I bought a couple of HD units in the past w 3400psi/4gpm capacity and they worked fine for a couple of years.

I then upgraded to skid units which out perform them and have better quality components.

Rod!~

If i do decide on a direct drive unit say from northern tool or spraymall.com, should I go with one with a cat pump or general? They both carry a 5 yr warranty. Spraymall.com sells the units with the cat pump $200.00 more than the ones with the General pumps. That would bring their price of the pw with the cat pump to $1,200. That being the case, then I think I am better off buying their belt drive model with a general pump 3500 psi/4gpm for $1400.00....what do you guys think?

go with the belt drive. Those direct drive units arent all that great even for rinsing off a car, I cant imagine washing any kind of concrete with one. If your budget will only allow you for 1k, then go with the cat pump. Those are much better in my opinion. I had a cat direct drive and it lasted me five or six years.

Edited by FLEETWASHDUDE

Belt drive is better. Better check the fine print on the warranty also. Some have disclaimers that void the warranty on machines used for commercial purposes. Especially the ones that the box stores sell.

i'm not sure how new you are to this business but everyone here will tell you that a higher gpm machine is better than a higher psi unit. if you are planning on doing flatwork (driveways, etc) then you will need a surface cleaner. to use the bigger surface cleaners and cut down on your time you will need the higher gpm machines. i believe the rule of thumb there is 4 inches of surface cleaner per gpm. someone correct me if i am wrong. as far as the dewalt is concerned i have a 3k psi/3gpm machine that i use as a backup or if i have a house with a steep driveway that i cannot access then i will use it there. it has served me well. so i will give you the thumbs up on the dewalt from my experience. i recommend that you visit bob and pressuretek or russ at southside equipment for any equipment questions because these guys are good.

good luck,

rando

Edited by douseahouse

For now I will be doing driveways, roofs and housewashing. I will also like to do concrete as well. Basically all residential stuff. I would like to use some money in order to advertise at the start.That is why I am in between the pressure washers mentioned. If I can do a good job with a direct drive machine for the first three or more years, I will be happy. Once I have enough capital, I will invest in a top notch rig. I have been reading these forums for about a month and I have gained a great deal of knowledge. I will be doing everything the right way ins./ lic/and most important of all I will not be a low baller (I have read the posts) and I admire the pride all of you have demonstrated on this board and would not do anything to tarnish that. I will be washing my house as well as my inlaws and other family members homes, in order to gain the experience needed before starting as a business. I would also like to thank those that are wishing me well in my venture.

Belt vs Direct drive:

Belt drive has less vibration imposed upon the pump. It also has a small drop in horsepower due to the transfer of power through the belt.

Direct drive delivers 100% of the power directly to the pump but also creates more vibration which in some circles is thought to shorten the life of the pump.

While no significant proof is available to substantiate this, it is still an investment decision. Heat is also of concern due to the proximity of the pump to the engine.

Either drive system will work well for the purpose.

Rod!~

I have a direct drive 4gpm 4k machine and have washed ALOT of cement with it.I have also washed a lot of houses with them also.I would go with the general pump and save the money for something else you are going to need.I run all general pumps and knock on wood have never had one fail yet.

there is no question that a 4gpm/4kpsi will clean concrete. the question is what is the largest size surface cleaner can you run? what size are you using jc? i had a unit that size once and used a 12" steel eagle because i got a good deal on it when i was looking for a 16". it cleaned the concrete great but 12" at a time took longer than i wanted.

thanks jc,

rando

either one will work but depending on how often you use it i dont think you will get 3-4 years out of it. invest in the belt drive, its worth the money and scrap the marketing if you are doing resi work go door to door and sell yourself. then save money and invest in marketing as you go. if you save $ on your PW and have all these clients lined up...then your PW breaks down where will you stand if you have to buy another one?

A buddy of mine, who pws part time, has had his direct drive cat pump for 18 yrs now. That thing still runs like a champ. The funny thing is the pump is about twice the size as they come now.

Rando, There is nothing valid about that 4" per gal figure. For a two tip setup on even an average rotary union/twin bar a 5" or more figure would be more appropriate. On a good setup 6" is surely doable. Regardless though, the nature of circumference in relation to diameter by figuring pi doesn't even really allow such a figure/factor to stay accurate. Is just an approximation.