Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

What to do with a kid hugger?

Question

Ok this is crazy...My 6 year old is like one hug or kiss away from getting written up at school... What do I do with him?. Do I threaten him with bodily harm for crawlin all over girls like a mammas boy or do I hug him and ask him nicely to stop hugging or kissing on people? Told my wife that I kinda want him to get in trouble for it just so we can tease him about it when he is older or so we can goto principle office and get all serious about hugging and kissing rules applied to a 1st grader. The term sexual harrasment was mentioned..we are like wow, hu, that's nuts. Think I'll teach him to hit people when he feels like hugging or kissing. That'll fix things..

6 answers to this question

Oh, that is funny. It is obvious that it is bothering others. Have you mentioned to him that it might make someone else feel uncomfortable and that it might not be appropriate to hug people outside the family? It will probably be a phase that passes, but I would find out what is compelling him to hug those he comes in contact with.

I would get some kids together, and hug him nonstop, see how he likes it ?

My Dog used to chew newspapers.

I took a rolled up newspaper, and taped it into her mouth.

She soon lost her taste for newspaper :)

Aversion Therapy, it works, if done right.

We had the same problem with our son at the exact same age.

We talked to Timmy about it with the teachers, and the teachers agreed that if you feel the urge to hug anyone, find a teacher! The teachers were also given "written" permission to hug Timmy when they thought he was getting close to the urge.......since teachers arn't suppose to hug kids.

For Timmy, it was an outlet for some cooped up energy.

I would also like to think that that raised our kids in a loving, family environment!

Shock collar would work............ Sorry that was almost as bad as Apples post (the kids not a dog). I had a kid about that age do that to me never seen the kid before in my life. this must be common. GOOGLE IT! I think Johns got the best answer so far.

Thanks for the perspectives and the link...

Hard to say whether this perticular kid shows much ADHD but rather it could be classified more as ADD if anything. I know the pro's have had to rethink how they classify ones disorders as for one the drugs they liked to prescribe for the symtoms didn't always work out as benneficial for all. Big difference between a kid that is hyper and one that doesn't focus on what he is supposed to be focusing on. Probably all my kids will show as the ADD. With my oldest it accompanied his somewhat milder case of tourettes. None of them really seem to be overly latchy though other than it just being a stage they go through. The one in question will hug all over his mamma at times but generally he seems very independant and well balanced when I see him in a school setting. Just maybe a little more sensitive in general than some. This is the first I heard of him having problems at school. I worry his symtoms may worsen to where it effects his schooling or relationships. He is well liked and popular for a 6 year old at school. Kids of all ages walk by acknowledging him by name saying hi and all..is kinda funny. Besides the hugging I did just also hear the other day (half way through the school year) that his fluency (reading) is not upto speed. That would suck if he gets left back... gonna have to crack down abit and get him reading faster for sure. Am torn on the hugging thing though being he got all teary eyed when I explained he can't be doing that to people outside the family.