Sign in to follow this  
CompletelyClean

R&R floorboards?

Question

How many of you replace boards on decks that have rotted? What kind of formula do you use for your rates? I have been getting a few of these requests on recent estimates and I'm thinking of just charging an hourly rate? Maybe $80/hr plus material cost with a one hour minimum for traveling time.

Thoughts...comments?

13 answers to this question

I charge $20 per board. If the board is in a high traffic area I usually suggest moving a board from a less visible place to that area and replacing that one with a new board. In this example I would charge $30 per board.

Pressure treated - $4 per foot

Cedar - $5 per foot

I will only replace the entire board, no cutting out pieces. I don't make a lot of money on this, it's mainly a conveniance for the customer.

I don't quote hourly, but if you think of it this way...... I can probably change 3 typical 10 foot boards in an hour. It just depends how the old ones are fastened.

A 10 foot cedar 2x6 here is about $15 each, so three will cost me $45, and I will charge $150 for the service, so I'm about in line with the Reedster afterall.

Bryan

Come to think about it I do need one replaced on the bottom of my steps. It's a 2x6 P/T. I'll be waiting, and you better not charge me travel time, since your only across the E-Way. You could probably just carry the board over here, that would save you gas. I have the tools just too lazy for the drive to H/D. You install and I'll sit and drink my coffee. LOL

I just charge $5 per foot for lumber and labor unless it's something exotic. My pricing works out the same way but it's easy to run in your head when quoting a job. I don't like basing anything on hourly rates, most people would flip if they thought about what we charge an hour to do their decks. Put it right out there at 75 an hour to replace a couple boards and they either think your going to drag it out and charge more or your too expensive. I have them mark the boards "they" want replaced with an x and then just measure them out and right up a quick material list. I never decide for the client what boards they should replace I do suggest but its completly up to them.

Hnery, I'm REALLY glad I posted this thread...that's not a bad idea, at all. In fact, I think I may use that formula! I like it! 8 feet of board = $40 and may only take 10 minutes to replace and 20 minutes to swing by HD or Lowes to pick up.

FYI...I had already told the homeowners that they need to tell me which boards they wanted replaced.

Hey Bryan,

I've never just replaced one board though. I usually have a minimum of $75, unless the customer supplies the lumber or something. Going to home depot for $40 just isnt worth it. The place is always full of homeowners and you have to dig through the lumber to find decent stock. I buy lumber from there in emergencies but I'd rather go to 84 lumber or another place that carries lumber.

I've had people ask me to do it but there's always a streak from where the ban boards run and it's usually not in very good shape anyway. Most builders choose the best side of the board to face up when installing the deck.

I've had customers accuse me of doing it because the deck looked so clean but that's it.

Unless the boards are screwed in, it's usually too much work to try and get a board off without damaging it. Flipping boards is not something I even entertain to do. It's a novel idea, but not realistic.