Sign in to follow this  
ctodd

Water Capacity

Question

I have a job going on this weekend that is a couple hours drive from home which means my equipment will be outdoors overnight for the first time. I am going to the auto parts store in the morning to pick up some anti freeze to put through it but how much will I need? I have an older Alkota skid and I'm a little unsure at how much water the coil itself will hold and at 3.27 a gallon I don't want to buy too much.

6 answers to this question

Just pick up a case of RV antifreeze as its cheaper (usually $2 to $3 a gallon) and use it straight. 5 Gallons will usually flush the machine and 200' of hose no problem and allow your machine to dump some antifreeze into your tank (assuming it bypassed). Make sure you trigger your gun as well. Empty tank of course :)

I have a job going on this weekend that is a couple hours drive from home which means my equipment will be outdoors overnight for the first time. I am going to the auto parts store in the morning to pick up some anti freeze to put through it but how much will I need? I have an older Alkota skid and I'm a little unsure at how much water the coil itself will hold and at 3.27 a gallon I don't want to buy too much.

did your Alkota come with coil blow out valves?

We have them on ours for extreme situations, I keep a small air compressor on my trailer and IF I find myself in that situation I will just hook up the air hose and blow all the water out of the coil, pump and lines.

This might be the first night I have to consider this freezing issue. Have to go up the hill tonight and last I heard it is gonna be a low snow level..yikes..

I don't have the air hookups but I think the one quiky at the input of my coil will allow me fast access to clear all downstream water heading into coil. Wondering though about blowing the other direction. I would just come up against the ceck valve/trap unloader. How much I got to worry about clearing that pump side? Guess I just found another good place to put a quikie..Need one right there on the low pressure hosing going into pump...so I either break out the screw driver and air compressor or I suck in a gal of winterizer..hmmm,debating..

I've thought about putting the quick coupler at the inlet of the coil and blowing it out but I too am worried about putting air through my pump. If all goes well this will be a non issue this coming winter cause if my plans work out I'll be pulling an enclosed trailer by September 09

We use regular antifreeze and recapture it when we start to wash again. We antifreeze just the machine, unloader and bypass lines and use a compressor to blow out the hoses and trigger guns