Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

What happened to the great debates?

Question

Hey Beth & Rod,

Its mid to getting late February. Stir crazy woodies are getting a bit a bit bored... Years gone by we had a lot of fun with bleach, acrylics, linseed, paraffinic, sodium hydroxide verses sodium percarbonate for straight cleaning and other fun debates while we wait to get back to work in the spring. Even citric verses oxalic for brightening...

WoodTux, Ready Seal, TWP, the new kid on the block Armstrong-Clark. Are times so low that no one cares about process anymore? Come on, spring is around the corner and its time to get excited about a brand new season!

3 answers to this question

I got one - there are these guys on a painting forum talking about how unprofessional it is to put your sign on a customers property, especially when working for high end clients! They frown upon the perimeter marketing ideas of door knob hangers as well - and that it's a privelege to put up a sign.

I have it in my contract that a sign is on the property or on the street for the duration of the job - that it's part of my advertizing. If I can't put my sign up - then I feel I have to pay more out for more advertizing, more marketing, and more time and energy delivering estimates to compensate. I don't believe in the 'shi-shi' model of no signs, no truck lettering, no print advertizing, word of mouth only contractors. The last time I saw any of that was back in '99.

Nobody is too good for me to not have a sign put up - that's just totally too snobby.

I don't mean putting some POS stenciled plywood thing. But a professionaly made sign - I see no problem. I do however see a problem with potential clients that don't like the idea of a sign.

Years ago I was considering lawn signs. Had the design made up and a local sign shop ready to go. These were all metal, with a custom wrought iron frame that would take a hurricane to blow over. I then had second thoughts...

At least half our work is in very high end neighborhoods. Along with very little auto traffic, blatant advertising just does not fit that type of clientele. Never did have the signs made.

As far as walking the neighborhood sticking everyone with a door hanger, we will not do it. It is not the image we want to project.