Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

No calls yet

Question

Usually by this time I have booked April for deck jobs. I have a few odd small p-wash ,window wash jobs waiting for the warm weather but this is the slowest start I've seen in 17 seasons! I am ramping up my lawn business to add customers to cover the difference. How is your season starting? I usually don't do anything until I see 60 degrees but I have at least booked work in the past.

23 answers to this question

I rely heavily on repeat customers ,referals and my website for business. Usually by now my customers from 2006 have called to "get on the schedule" but not one call......I have another business that I anticipated more demand for and spent time this winter building a web site and will try and grow that customer base. Pressure washing is IMO a postponable service and things may be slow this year.

Pressure washing is IMO a postponable service and things may be slow this year.

Jeff - I disagree...I think homeowners are hanging on to what they've got this year and instead of putting homes on the market, they're keeping what they've got maintained...This has been my busiest February in a long time. Of course our market is different, it seems that the same theory would apply if I'm correct. I hope things pick up for you...

- John

well I hope your right!!Has your phone been ringing or is that a prediction for the season? my game plan is to stick to my pricing and business plan. My costs have gone up and I can't afford to compete with lower prices. I'll chase the customer who can afford my services and be patient for them to call!!!! I have a diverse selection of home services I provide and can make adjustments to the work I chase !

Jeff - I disagree...I think homeowners are hanging on to what they've got this year and instead of putting homes on the market, they're keeping what they've got maintained...This has been my busiest February in a long time. Of course our market is different, it seems that the same theory would apply if I'm correct. I hope things pick up for you...

- John

Easy for you to say John, when you are about in the only city in the country that gets over 4,400 google searches a month for those exact keywords 'Pressure washing Charlotte' - that's unheard of in this industry - you are in a major 'hotspot' of pressure washing. When you say, above anyone else, business is getting bad - then I will really worry!

Has your phone been ringing or is that a prediction for the season? my game plan is to stick to my pricing and business plan.

It's both Jeff...The phone's been busy and I think we are going to have a better season than people think...maybe it's the optimist in me, but you hit the nail on the head...STICK TO YOUR PRICING!! Albeit frustrating, this plan works...your service is better than the $99 guys...now convince your customers! I wish you the best...good luck!

Looks like it's "easy" for you too Dan...Maybe Andover is a hotspot too...

It's different for me - I do painting as well, and I am getting 10-15k type repainting estimates to do. If I get one of those a week - that's like getting somewhere between 30-45 house washing estimates to do. So I kind of equate the two the same. But I definitely don't live in a google 'hotspot!

I have a lawn maintenance business tht spawned off of my pressure washing business because of the demand for home services I encountered. My pressure washing business developed from when I used to build decks and fences and wanted to move into it because it was new on the scene and not too much competition. I have always remained somewhat diverse with the services I offer but pressure washing is a high profit margin for me and takes priority for my time. When I was building decks I had to compete with pricing by unscrupulous employees of builders who would steal the materials from their employers accounts and just charge labor + a little for the lumber. Thats what helped me decide to not have all my eggs in one basket. Whatever the situation for me this year I am ready to take on the challenge. A few warm days and I will likely get some calls as people realize spring is right around the corner. The tax return helps generate home inprovement work as well. I'm just glad I'm not in California and Kansas where they suspended the tax refunds due by the state!!!!

Usually by this time I have booked April for deck jobs. I have a few odd small p-wash ,window wash jobs waiting for the warm weather but this is the slowest start I've seen in 17 seasons! I am ramping up my lawn business to add customers to cover the difference. How is your season starting? I usually don't do anything until I see 60 degrees but I have at least booked work in the past.

Jeff,

In the late winter - spring of 2008, our book was not good. By the end of March, all hell broke loose. Wound up the best season on record, we were even busy during the usual late August doldrums.

A lot of new work came in from customers wanting to improve their property to put on the market. In my area, housing sales were slow, but properties were selling if they were in "move in" condition. Realtors were encouraging their clients to do cosmetic improvements prior to putting the home on the market.

Don't know if this is applicable to your area, but if it is, might be a viable marketing angle.

Jeff,

In the late winter - spring of 2008, our book was not good. By the end of March, all hell broke loose. Wound up the best season on record, we were even busy during the usual late August doldrums.

A lot of new work came in from customers wanting to improve their property to put on the market. In my area, housing sales were slow, but properties were selling if they were in "move in" condition. Realtors were encouraging their clients to do cosmetic improvements prior to putting the home on the market.

Don't know if this is applicable to your area, but if it is, might be a viable marketing angle.

I was a little worried about 2008 as well but it turned out great for me too. I understand that the move in condition is paramount for real estate sales here too from a realtor I network with. I had 2 calls near the end of the season 08 that I gave bids on for large jobs but I had too many on my schedule to finish the year before the cold weather kicked in so I tried to move them to the spring of 09 .That is my usual scenario of having to push work to the start of next season. I may get calls from them or they may have found someone to do the work last minute . I'm not so desperate for work that I want to push this business into the cold months! I network with a handyman / contractor who does a lot of work for real estate agents getting home ready for sale and he is slow but anxiously waiting for the warm weather too.

i am jealous, in the midwest (minnesota) we really cannot start advertising until early April, i am not afraid of all the traffic this year, just afraid that the market is getting watered down by contractors adding deck restoration to their services which they know nothing about and low balling me.

So far so good for us!

A few call finally are comming in but close rate is low. Only one new customer booked a job for April. Dismal! my lawn business is solid with full retention of customers but I am taking a new approach to my business mix. I may decide to market roof cleaning if deck and house washing gets put off this year. My website is getting a decent amount of hits so I'm hoping a warm spell will trigger calls.

looks like a year where I will have to spend money to make money on advertising and promoting services. I was thinking of calling previous customers to do a touchup service of washing and sealing or a simple re-coat of stain vs full removal of old stain and staining service. Costs of materials went up so I quoted $.10 per square ft higher and sold 1 of 3 bids. Previous close rate was 3 to 4 of 5 bids in past 5 years. Not ready to work for less money so I'll wait it out........

Costs of materials went up so I quoted $.10 per square ft higher and sold 1 of 3 bids. Previous close rate was 3 to 4 of 5 bids in past 5 years. Not ready to work for less money so I'll wait it out........

To be honest Jeff - I think 1 in 3 is where you should be for closing. Guys that get the 80% closing rate and don't advertize are in danger of falling behind the times in terms of pricing. 1 in 3 is my goal this year - so far 0 for 7. The quality of the calls I have been getting are extremely poor lately - but I've taken advice from others and have met with all my potential customers explained my services, the whole 9 yards, and all I am getting is what questions should they ask when they call up all the contractors that left estimates in their mailbox! So that tells me - that they just want a deal - and don't care about building a business relationship. Nobody ever called me up when I left an estimate in a mailbox to reconfirm what my services actually are.

woo hooo! another job on the booking sheet! repeat customer and possible roof cleanig as well. Not since the days when I started did I feel this needy! The last warm spell generated a few calls so come on 70 degrees. This could still turn out to be a record year for sales as I have had slow starts before . I added window washing as a spring service and that has been good so far. the price tag is lower than deck cleaning and staining but the work is easy and virtually no overhead. I betting the $300 roof cleaning will out sell the $600 + deck job this year too. I believe people want the work done , they just are rearful of commiting to too big a price tag. Maybe I could sell a wash and stain as seperate jobs LOL. time will tell

People are frightened due to perception. I've given homeowners that had cushy jobs with town hall, with absolutely no risk of being laid off even in the worst of times, and they gave me the whole spiel about how 'rough' the economy is lately. Some people don't get it - we're not all equally at risk from this bad economy. If I was an auto worker - I'd be $hitting bricks right now. If I was the person in town hall with 16 years and doing 3 jobs to take up the slack from former layoffs - then the economy wouldn't affect me.

Anyways - I ain't letting this economy scare me - the way I see it, folks can either afford our services or they can't afford - there is no in-between. That's what is all B.S. about the trades the last few years - tradesmen being coerced into accepting a cut in salary in order to do work. These folks either have the money to afford us or they don't - I'd be worried if someone tried to commit me to their 'budget' - that they just wouldn't pay altogether - there is alot of entitlement going on around lately. Entitlement is THE reason folks try to get our services for less - it's because they're entitled. Get it?