Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

Volunteer work.

Question

I am going to be cleaning the new Pregnancy Resource Center here in the county. I am volunteering my service and a chruch is going to paint it when i'm done. I was wondering about contacting the local paper and letting them know I was going to be doing that on Friday. Is that tacky? Please let me know your thoughts on the matter and tell me your experiance if you did something similar.

14 answers to this question

I don't think it's Tacky at all. We are working on something similar here with another contractor and we are gonna call the papers and news stations and invite them out. They enjoy covering good stories once in a while instead of all the bad that goes on. If you don't feel comfortable calling then have someone else do it for you. Good karma and good publicity. The way things are going we could all use a little of both! :clap:

Hey Celeste, Larry, thanx for the comments. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see what we can do.

Keep em coming! thanks guys.

Good idea but I'd do it anomalously. Don't want the story to turn into,,,"Local contractor fraud tries to pimp services to charity for free advertising". Im just sayin...LOL

Thats a good point really. Oh well, I already submitted that I was going to be out there so lets see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I've called fox 6 letting them know what I was doing and they didn't have a problem with it. I have been on 3 times 2 times taped and once live which was interesting.

Either way you approach it it will give you creditability with the community.

Charlie

I think I will find someone else to call like you guys are saying. It just feels akward (spl?) to call and say I am doing this come look at me. I don't know maybe its just me.

Besides the newspaper contact the tv stations. God knows we need some positive things in this country.

Charlie

What Charlie said Dane.

Contact the local TV station and anyone who will listen.

I did the very same thing in ATL one year with a painting company for an invalids house and made darn sure they interviewed me as well. Right there in front of God and Jesus. I made sure they knew it was completely for the family and from the heart.

Make sure when you give your info to the interviewer that they have your Name as the owner, Company name and phone number.

It may only be flashed on the tv screen for a matter of seconds, but think how much money those few seconds would have cost you for a TV spot.

And Smile..... there will only be MILLIONS of people watching you.

Congrats, call everyone.

The ROI will keep you hopping for longer than you can imagine.

30 or 40 bucks of materials for a house wash and the exposure will be where the real payoff is. That's cheaper than running a newspaper ad.

Go for it brother, make it an annual thing as well.

Tell everyone. can you say GOOOOrilla marketing at is finest.

Nothing Tacky about it bro. It's a Human interest story and the media eats that stuff up.

plus it is a good cause ( forgot to mention that)

Thanks Adrian, Now where talking, I like it. I'll be more prepared for my next voluteer job. I think doing somthing like this acouple few times throughout the year would be an awesome way to get some recognition. I'm getting excited about this!

Just try to remain calm when you see the little red light at the top of the camera.

Try and at least script out your name, company and phone number.

And for goodness sakes don't Hi my Dane is name and I wash pressure stuff for pregos to have babies here.

Script out what your personal info is. say it to your self several times before the interview. The reporter will take care of the rest i.e. How does it make you feel to be taking time out of your schedule for this cause blah blah. It will come to you.

Company name Phone number and your name are all you need to focus on for the tv interview.

The newpaper stuff is not nearly as much pressure.

Remember to smile, did I say millions, I meant BILLIONS.

you will do fine.

Be like the guy on fight club who looks for the talk groups to be involved with just so he can sleep at night..... you remember.

Look for charitable causes, they qualify as write offs at the end of the year too.

Get a recording and post it here so we can laugh at..... I mean watch it with you.

It will be cool. bro, you'll be great.

Try and get them to catch some washing footage as well.

Keep us posted.

Have a new baseball stadium opening in our area. Contacted them to do volunteer entrance cleaning for ad on scoreboard during opening day. Volunteering services is a good relatively cheap way to get some good advertising.