Sign in to follow this  
Robo_Spray

Spiders

Question

I work next to lake Ontario and by the St. Lawrence river whare the spiders are out of control. If I could answer this one question i would have 1000 houses to do, is there anything I can do to help the spiders from marking and staining the siding? I know drier sheets help, and i even thought about a product I found at envirospec, premier or plex-master, both leaves a silicone membrain to help stop dirt and mildew from sticking and makes it a lot easier to rinse off the next time. Any other ideas?

14 answers to this question

I know I've heard people say that adding a little borax to your house wash mix can work as an insect repellent, but I also know that you have to be careful using it because it can easily damage plants if you use it to strong.

Or you can call a pest control company to come out and regularly spray the properties.

OK...you ready for a bug leeson? Borax and other insectides will kill spiders only if you hit them directly. They work as a residual pesticide on ants and such because of their biological makeup....ants and roaches and such "preen" themselves. Essentially they pick up the insectide on their bodies and legs and then ingest it when preening...this kills them. Spiders, however, walk on their tippy toes and do not preen. So residual insectides will not work on them. It gets on their "feet" and essentially just falls off not bothering them in the least. There is a product somewhere called "Webaway"...an aerosol which claims to make corners and eaves too slippery for webs to be built on. I can't say personally if it works or how expensive it is, but I can assure you that there is no "repellent" or residual insecticide that will kill spiders (despite the claims). Sorry, I would love to help you get the business!

- John

Spiders live in the crack and crevices of the home it needs to be prof. treated, if you are treating for spiders you must be licensed to do pest control.

Charlie

It sounds like the best way that I can help is to give the house a wax and make it easier to wash and not stick so much. Maybe I should be looking at it a little different, they are "good" for business.

Yes Borax does work on spiders. No it wont damage plants. Its a natural mineral that repels bugs and in my experience doe's very well on spiders. It also enhances your soaps. I use it on every house wash. Also if your using a hot skid unit rinse with luke warm water and add some Zep car wax or some other type liquid wax in your rinse. Will give house a better look too and make it easier to clean next time.

I can only say that borax repels spiders..unsure how strong it needs to be to actually kill the multitude of different species. With all that said about harming plants or being used in soaps it should be said that it should not be used around expecting families and that should tell us something about being too cavalier in its use in general....

Only thing i know of it for insects for sure is that it gets carried back to roach nests and dries the eggs out

MudDuck - I just got some simple cherry in yesterday and I plan on using the formula 3 gal SC, 2 gal water, 2 scoops of simple cherry, what would be a good amount of borax to try?

Sent you a PM but I use about a scoop or two to the 5er. It's not toxic stuff and won't hurt anything. You can buy it in Wal M over in the laundry section. Mix well as it likes to cake up on the bottom of the 5er.

Well Mud that's not really correct. It is toxic and is a poison. Just not all that strong. Keep away from dogs, kids, and expecting mothers is best bet. Google 'borax toxicity' if ya like... there is some info floating around that mentions as little as 5gram can kill a child..

Just team up with a pest control company you clean the house and let them do what they do best apply the insecticide correctly and safely. Just to let you kno I also own a pest control business.

Charlie

I live in the heart of the Finger Lakes.

Spiders are the bane of my customers that live on the lakes or the canals.

I don't have a huge machine,but it's hot and still does little against those pesky webs!

The spiders proclivity to nest and hide in the multitude of crevice makes it almost mandatory that you need exterminators in conjunction with your cleaning.( I learned that on Oprah)My experience is that the exterminators are adversely affected by ladders,so they make a friggin' mess on windows and eaves,and siding.Plan accordingly.

my own 2.

I'm out.

Borax is not as toxic to pets and people as you think. Look at its uses for peopel and pets at EarthClinic.com . It can actually be given dogs as a treatment in their water for fleas and parasites. Also as a pet shampoo you leave on to dry for mange and flea tick control. It does work great for repeling and killing red wasps, Put a cup borax and some dawn in a pump up and spray around where wasps enter cracks in siding etc...they won't come near it again.

Borax is not as toxic to pets and people as you think. Look at its uses for peopel and pets at EarthClinic.com . It can actually be given dogs as a treatment in their water for fleas and parasites. Also as a pet shampoo you leave on to dry for mange and flea tick control. It does work great for repeling and killing red wasps, Put a cup borax and some dawn in a pump up and spray around where wasps enter cracks in siding etc...they won't come near it again.

That's some interesting reading over there......