Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Dirt Behind Vynal Sideing

Question

The house I did yesterday had vynal sideing on the garage, I have never had trouble with vynal sideing till yesterday, well, whilst the outside came clean as expected, dirt kept seeping out from behind and leaving brown streaky trails. I rinsed and rinsed to no avail, so then I decided to do the house and let the garage dry out some and then rinse briefly at the end, still no good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Gav

9 answers to this question

This has been brought up in some other threads. Possile reasons were:

Water getting behind the seams in the siding (where two pieces join along the horizontal).

Water being forced under the vinyl by high pressure or an angle lower than the siding

Water getting into weep holes and washing dirt out from behind

Thanks Ryan, I've been around these boards long enough to know I should have done a search first, but sometimes my memeory needs jogging. This is 20 year old sideing that has never been cleaned and i did indeed get too close from underneath in order to get all the cacoons off, well I guess I will be returning and cleaning from a distance.

Thanks Gav

I had this problem recently about 25 feet off the ground. I pulled back the siding to reveal a nice infestation. Most of the dirt in Ga is red clay, so if you're getting alot of clay more than a foot or so off the ground, worry...

Philip

gav...you will never clean all the dirt that is behind sidings...have you ever known a clean builder ??.....take your ladders back and clean the runs by hand...it should also help you remember next time ;-)

You can also wipe it with a brush on an extension pole.

If it's dry, put a very small amount of your cleaning detergent on the brush and wipe the stain clean then, dry with another brush.