Sign in to follow this  
mccabedoug

User Friendly Sealer

I've an elevated 16'x20' PTP deck in New England that is 2 yr old. It's never been stained. I'm going to change that this spring. I'm a very handy DIYer and am considering ReadySeal, WoodRich and AC. Lots of good press on all three products on this forum and elsewhere. I'll likely use a brush or pad on the deck because of the elevation what is under & around it (plus I'm a DIYer, not an experienced contractor). For ease of use and performance, does one of those three products stand above the other two? I know I am asking a subjective question, but that's one of the beauties of the Internet....thanks.

In my book, you can't go wrong with RS, as long as you do a proper preperation on the wood first. I have had great luck with RS for several years. However some products may work better in your region.

I have always used it in the South. You can learn more about wood prep in the wood forum or search button. Others will chime in on their favorite. But RS is my go to choice in most every case.

In my book, you can't go wrong with RS, as long as you do a proper preperation on the wood first. I have had great luck with RS for several years. However some products may work better in your region.

I have always used it in the South. You can learn more about wood prep in the wood forum or search button. Others will chime in on their favorite. But RS is my go to choice in most every case.

Thanks for the reply, Adrian. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm getting to the point of 'analysis paralysis' in that the more I read, the greater the variety of suggestions and the further I get from making a decision. I believe all three are very good and I will likely not go wrong with choosing any one of the brands. Regarding wood prep, I think I have a pretty good handle on the cleaning/brightening steps based upon my research, as well as the products I will go with. It's the particular brand of stain that's got me undecided.....again, thanks.

You can always contact the distributors and ask them for a sample, and decide that way. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding. Seeing it firsthand, and then deciding.

Doug,

If you are going with RS, I would strongly suggest putting 2 separate applications on the horizontal wood the first time, one heavy app. on the verticals. Give the wood as much stain as it will take. Being 2 yrs. old without prior sealer, the PTP should take a fair amount.

Make sure the wood is very dry before applying the stain. With cold spring temps in New England and morning dew, this can be difficult. And without a moisture meter, its guesswork. Wait out for two or three days of warm, sunny weather, preferably with a little wind, and no overnight freezes or heavy AM dew.

Thereafter, maintenance is quite easy. Usually stain the horizontal wood every two years, and the vertical wood every 3 to 4 yrs., depending on sun exposure. One single heavy app. of stain is sufficient, and the wood will dry out fairly fast as there is still oil in the wood. A light, say 2% bleach mix with a little soap is fine for cleaning.

Well, I decided to go with Armstrong Clark based on a lot of what I read here AND the fact that I left an email message with them and within 24 hr someone actually called me!! Although I did not catch his name he thoroughly answered all my questions AND agreed to send some samples. Talk about customer service.

I got the samples (Cedar Tone (transparent) and Cedar (Semi-transparent) which were tiny little cans of stain. I also purchased some EFC-38 and Citralic from the Woodrich site and cleaned/brightened a piece of scrap PT SYP. Both stains made the PT look kind of orangey now (which I don't like) but the Semi-transparent makes the PT look more 'wet' (it's pouring outside so the comparison is easy) and is growing on me. So, I am leaning toward the Semi-transparent Cedar.

Thanks to everyone for their help and thanks to Armstrong Clark for the fantastic customer support.

I'm going to be using the semi trans on some PTW as well. Hopefully at least get some of it done this week if the weather holds up. I'll post pics on here for your reference after I'm done

That'd be great. I am just curious how 'orangey' the end results are as well as your comments on ease of application and coverage.

Thanks.

Well, I decided to go with Armstrong Clark based on a lot of what I read here AND the fact that I left an email message with them and within 24 hr someone actually called me!! ....

Jake Clark and company have been just "over the top" on contractor support. Don't know how they can do it with DIY homeowners, but mucho kudos to them.

I had the same response from him as well. He also gave some advice as far as anticiapted maintenance etc...I only hope that the product is as friendly to me as they have been so far. He had sent sampels as well to me...

Looks like the weather shoudl cooperate so I can get at least some of the decking done tomorrow. I'm basically doing the decking and top rail first since they woudl gray first due to exposure and do the veriticals ASAP after that. Some initial setup (marking off posts and using shields to make sure rest of rails don't get any stain on them) to make sure no lapping occurs doing it this way but gotta do what I gotta do when I can do it. unfortunately I can't take a day off right now to just do the whole thing

I was able to do the decking, steps and top rails yesterday with the Cedar Semi-trans...it turned out a different coloring than I was expecting. I haven't been able to see it myself in the day light as I finished while it was dark but my wife sent these pictures today...any thoughts on the coloring. Don't get me wrong I think I like this a little better than the orangey tint I got from the sample I used, just different than I was expecting.

post-4931-137772241433_thumb.jpg

post-4931-137772241442_thumb.jpg

post-4931-137772241446_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmyrick11