Sign in to follow this  
jmyrick11

Redoing Deck

I am starting the process of redoing a PTW deck that was built about 5 years ago and Thompson's was put on the deck. The only part of the deck with any seal on it is under some items. I have some general questions for the most part:

I will be using StainSolver (Sod Percarb)to clean the deck (have tested a small area while doing something else and cleans deck well) Do I need to use a brightener after using this on the whole deck and if so, any recommendations? Anything else after using the brightener or just let dry for a few days before sealing?

My other question is in regards to the seal. I have been leaning toward the TWP 500 series, possibly the Light Cedar 515, as I am looking for something to stay more toward the actual wood color and not something too dramatic or dark. With that I have 2 questions: 1) Experience with TWP 515 on PTW 2) Can this only be ordered online or do they sell it anywhere in MD

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I have so much information in my head from researching the past few weeks I need to start making some decisions!!!!

Edited by jmyrick11

Jason,

Yes, you should apply an acid brighter after a sodium percarbonate wash. Percarbs are caustic and will darken the wood, as well as leave it in a higher than desirable pH level.

Instead of some generic cleaner, why not use a sodium percarbonate cleaner formulated for exterior wood? Wolman's DeckBrite is available at many retailers, or even better yet, see Deck Cleaners | Wood Stains Sealers | Maintenance | Sealing Restoring Decks

This package includes both the wood cleaner as well as a brightener specially formulated for exterior wood.

OK, that's what I had seen for the most part on most forums etc. Just wanted some clarification.

What exactly is the difference between the cleaner I have and what you are recommending? They both can be used on concrete and such per the websites. The only difference I seeis the added brightener in the package which can be bought seperately?

Edited by jmyrick11

I have read and read and read about using Oxalic, Citralic or Citric acid to neuatralize the percarb I am using to clean my deck. I am very interested in the Citric acid as I saw RPetry say 6 oz (3/4 cup) to one gallon of water. A couple questions:

1. Where to get citric acid at reasonable pricing.

2. Coverage for this mixture?

My deck is roughly 18' x 14' with 3 sided railing with spindles and 10 steps for some information in regards to what may be needed.

I saw at the Chem store a 2 lb package for just over $7.00...woudl this suffice? I saw you had said ACR had it but cannot find ACR anywhere. Saw it in another thread but search didn't bring up anything. Thanks for any help

Jason,

Percarb wood cleaners contain special detergents and surfactants as well as percarbs. If you already have a sufficient quantity of the StainSolver, go ahead and use it.

Oxalic is readily available in most paint stores. With any brightener, figure ~125 sq. ft. per gal. So 2 lbs. of citric from the Chemistry Store will be enough for ~750 sq. ft. of wood which should cover your deck.

ACR Products can be found here: ACR PRODUCTS

They also carry Ready Seal and Armstrong-Clark stains.

Thanks a lot for the follow up. I was finally able to find some more information as to some additives to the RAD.

Between the 2 which is preffered? RS or AC? Ease of use or about the same. I know it's all personal opinion really but I haven't really seen too much downside to these 2 products. As for the TWP 500 series I was going to go with I have seen some conflicting information in regards to quality and performance.

One last thing, when using a truck brush, is there anything I need to look for as in composition? I have found 2 at Ace: Rubbermaid® Roughneck® Vehicle Brush (X257-06) & Victor® Body Suds & Car Wash Brush (22-5-05607-8)...I have seen some on here and other sites that have basically "melted"