Sign in to follow this  
TNTPW

What would you charge

Question

I went out and did and estimate on an older couples house today. The house is worth between 1.4 million and 2 million dollars. It is in the best subdivision in the town. She called and said thay she had vines growning in her wall witch is two stories. She also said that she had algae growing and mold. So i went out there today and as soon as i got there i was looking at the whole house and it is caked with algae. The roof needs to be cleaned the drive way, the walk ways, the deck in the back and all the walking stones. Well, lets get back to the wall. I go around and there was at one time vines growing up the wall, they removed them but there is still these little marks that are there, which are the left over of where the viens were haning on to the wall. Algae is pretty thick. Not very much mold. Just this one wall is 1995 Sq ft. I quoted her a price of 549.00. The price i came up with was a little less than that but i added on for being two stories and for the difficulty of the access of part of the wall. She look at me like i was crazy when i handed her the estimate. She did not say anything but she look at me crazy. I also included in a seperate estimate to do the whole house and the rest of the work i saw around the property while walking. Am i close on this or far off. I thought i was a good estimate for the difficulty of the situation. What would you have charged? You do not have to tell me a formula of yours just a round about price. Thanks

6 answers to this question

Beth just that one wall was 1995 or so sqft, I would say the house is around 8 to 10 thousand sqft, I am planning to go back i will try to get a picture of the wall.

Hey Travis, What kind of wall are you talking about, brick, vinyl siding, dryvit, stucco?

This would help me to understand how to bid it.

Also, are the vines still there? Are they growing between the siding?

Rod~

Beth i would say that it is cement, it looks like stucco but is much better. Now I told then that some of the paint would come off the wall for it is already coming off in layers just by touching, they said that was ok and that they want it cleaned and preped for painting again. The viens are not there. But there are little spots that are there where the viens where hanging on to the side of the house. I will have to put some root killer or something down at the base of the house because you can seem them starting to come back.

Good luck with whats left over from the vines, I have never had any luck in getting rid of whats left of them because they actually grow into the wall and I let customers know this right up front.

Gav