Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

HD-80 safety and protection

Due to the Caustic nature of HD-80, I am aware that certain measures need to be performed.

1) I know that protective gear needs to be worn at all times when using HD-80; jeans, shoes, a respirator, and safety glasses. What about bare arms and hands? If gloves need to be worn, what kind of gloves? I am just starting HD-80 and am not sure as to exactly how caustic this chemical is.

2) I also know that its not safe to the environment; plants, some metals, etc. How do you protect these from the effects of HD-80? Will just wetting down the area first and then rinsing afterwards be all that needs to be done, or are there other certain measures that need to be put in consideration. I am not sure about protective sheets or anything like that cuz I am not sure if HD-80 could burn a hole through them.

Like I said, I am not exactly sure as to just how caustic this chemical is. I, of course will be experimenting with this product before using it on a customers deck. Any advice and help on different means of protection and safety would be appreciated.

Also, should HD-80 be applied to the wood surface when its dry or when its wet? I hear that deck cleaning can be done in the rain?

Will a 2-gallon Solo chemical sprayer work for this type of product?

What kind of respirator would you reccommend.. I know it should be able to prevent you from inhaling the products vapors, but there are so many out there I want to make sure I use the right one. I care about my health.

Brian

Sodium hydroxide strippers are actually lye. It will eat your flesh. If you get it on you, rinse asap. If you spill it on your clothes, change and rinse asap. If allowed to remain on your skin for too long, you will need (speaking from personal experience) medical attention. I now carry a small bottle of apple cider vinegar to neutralize the SH.

have to bid on a deck that had a solid paint that is mostly worn off except patches. and the railings and spindles that are painted white. Looks like a flat latex. Will hd80 take these off?

Use either Gauntlet gloves that are rated for causitcs. Nitril is rated for use with caustic materials like HD-80.

Keep a gallon of vinegar on hand for quick neutralization if it gets on you, the acid in vinegar is friendly to humans but just smells bad.

My crews are outfitted with PVC bib overalls and jackets, saftey glasses or face sheilds, rubber boots (they are required to provide them) and p-95 organic vapor masks for respiratory protection. (same ones used by painters)

Wet down all plants and vegetation in the area you will be applying HD-80 or any cleaner before you apply.

HD-80 will go through plastic, believe me, been there done that.

Sodium Hydroxide is the most caustic substance known and tops out the pH scale at 14.

HD-80 can be applied to a wet surface if it is too hot and would dry quickly otherwise. You can use it to clean a deck on days of precipitation as long as you dont have a constant down pour.

Solo sprayers will work fine for a while, but will soon become brittle due to the exposure to the caustic in HD-80, try a sprayer with viton seals and use a bucket to keep HD-80 in while you are spryiing through a long hose 75'and wand. Saves your back.

Rod~

jon, do a test patch before you bid it...if its paint, wait till the hd-80 booster comes out on the market (shouldnt be too much longer), other wise, if its a solid stain, apply hd-80 at 6-7 oz/gal and keep wet. dwell about 30-40 minutes or until you see the product easily removed by just doing a scratch test with the end of your spray wand.

Mine and Beth's nextel #'s are in the signature line below. Need field tech support...Call:-)

:seeya:

Rod~

Just read this thread and I am thinking of ordering some HD-80. But how do you protect the plants, house, and anything else that may get sprayed and if sprayed what do you do?

Anyone have a price difference between cleaning a deck with EFC-38 and stripping with HD-80?

Thanks

Although vinegar neutralizes well, I don't like smelling like a tossed salad....:)

Lemon or lime juice in the little plastic fruit shaped bottles work well too. Of course, then you smell like a margarita!

If you run EFC-38 thru a pump up sprayer, you will need to do one of two things:

1. Mix with hot water to facilitate complete dissolving.

2. Mix with cold water in a bucket, and use a mesh strainer when pouring into a pump up. Cold water mixing does not dissolve completely, and will plug up a pump up sprayer everytime if you don't strain out the granules.