Sign in to follow this  
FK1234

Why aren't log home stains popular for fences

Question

I am in Ontario Canada and would prefer for a variety of reasons not to have stain shipped and instead buy something locally.

Been thinking about a local log home stain (Sansin) for a new cedar fence but after going back and reading all the various threads I never see mention of members here using log home stains. Are they just just inferior to the current favs like RS and Armstrong Clark or is there some other reason?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Could be that log home stains are quite a bit more expensive than regular stains in the US. Most likely just a marketing gimmick to get homeowners to shell out big bucks for log home staining. I'm sure that there's a LOT more log homes in Canada than the US, and perhaps those stains are more readily available. Staining fences is a price shock for most folks, so using a log home stain, while most likely very effective, would be financially unfeasible. That's my take on it.

Fences are made of lumber. You're talking about boards that behave differently than a whole log. I would use a product designed for decks/fences.

Beth

p.s. yes good log home products are more expensive, and there is a good reason for it.

I guess I will just have to crunch the numbers then (shipping, duties, brokerage fees, exchange does add up too).

Wondering though how a board would behave differently than a log.

One is only a part of the whole. Cut yourself in half and what are the effects (besides dying of course) ? You become exposed and vulnerable and with each subsequent cut, you become weaker.

Rod!~