Sign in to follow this  
Home Serve

cleaning soffit/fascia

Lots of times when we replace siding we clean the aluminum fascia, soffit, gutter, etc. We usually use glass cleaner but I was wondering if you guys had found anything that works better for cleaning like that. clap.gif I have found that using something that you don't have to rinse is best in order to save time. We hand clean it since we are set up to replace siding and that seems the best way to do it.

Thank you for your ideas!

Thanks,

Dave

Lots of times when we replace siding we clean the aluminum fascia, soffit, gutter, etc. We usually use glass cleaner but I was wondering if you guys had found anything that works better for cleaning like that. clap.gif I have found that using something that you don't have to rinse is best in order to save time. We hand clean it since we are set up to replace siding and that seems the best way to do it.

Thank you for your ideas!

Thanks,

Dave

We prefer to soft pressure wash vinyl Fascia and soffits. It makes the job go much faster than cleaning them by hand.

look up gutter zap or gutter grenade or the cheaper way is purple power 19.99 per 5 gallons, brush it on with a car wash brush (do not let it dry) and rinse and it doen not require elbow grease either

What are you cleaning? Dust, cobwebs, mold, mildew? A possible solution would be to make-up some housewash mix (for this, I would use approximately a 1% solution of bleach and simple cherry with a squirt of Rinse-Aid) and apply it with a pump-up sprayer and rinse with a garden hose - especially the windows. Some aluminum trim will "give up" it's coating (especially white trim) with too aggressive a cleaner. In my opinion - experience, any chemical designed to clean gutters is too strong for what you are wanting to clean unless it is drastically diluted.

With bleach in your mixture, it will kill any mold, mildew and algae - as well as release the cob webs so that they will rinse clean with a garden hose. This method may be a little more messy than you're looking for, but since you will already have the ladders in place, this method will work well for you. I would suggest that you clean prior to replacing the siding to minimize the amount of rinsing required.

I realize that you are looking for a "no rinse" answer, but my suggestion will be much faster - and gentler on the trim - than what you are doing now. This solution could also be used on window trim - as well as any trim or painted surface. Rinse, rinse, rinse - the surfaces you have cleaned as well as any shrubbery/flowers.

ZEP TNT

TnT is a brushless truck wash detergent. You can use it to clean dirt and oil off just about anything. Ive never seen it in stores but you can buy it direct from zep online in 5 gal concentrate buckets or a single gallon or you may be able to ask home depot or lowes to order you some with there next shipment.

You can apply with a soft bristle brush, almost effortlessly. And always rinse and work from the bottom up. Working top down will create a mess of the siding leaving streaks that you probably cannot get out.

Edited by nlantz